Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My doctor keeps firing me....response
pondergirl56 posted:
To Taoskier,

I have had the same pain management doc. for the last 15 years. When I first started they never did urine tests. Today it is totally different. I expect to be urine tested every time I go in which is every month. Times have changed. Some adults are not responsible with their pain meds, and their kids get a hold of them and they end up either overdosing or selling them. The DEA has cracked down on pain management doctors. You made a comment about them just covering their butts. When my doc. first started randomly doing urine tests, I like you , did not like it. But then I gave it some serious thought, would I want to lose my career, for one patients bad urine test.

My chronic pain was caused by an accident. It is defined as non-cancerous pain syndrome. I have nerve, bone and muscle pain in my face, neck and down my back. I too also have osteoarthritis, in my TMD joints, neck and back. I have started developing it in my hips, and other joints. For me the key is balance, I do yoga and tai-chi, I don't eat food that causes more inflamation in my joints, when the pain is really bad, I go on a soft diet. And I use my medication responsibly. I have had over 35 surgeries on my face and skull. Hopefully, I will never have to have another one. I used to be a flight attendant and a competitive runner. Now, I am on disability and I volunteer, and instead of running I walk. I also keep a gratitude journal, so I don't go to dark places.

I take the a smaller dose of ER Morphine, 30 mgs. twice a day. I also take MSIR 30 mgs. for break through pain. Trazadone, 100 mgs. at night, to help me sleep. Zanaflex 4mgs. 2 x's a day, mainly at night for muscle spasms. And lots of deep breathing !

My question for you did you try and talk to your doctor? I tested positive for alcohol a year ago with a urine test. I told my doctor before hand that I would test positive. I was not taking care of myself and thought what the hell, a few drinks can't hurt. I did not get fired from my pain management doctor. He did note it in my file. And I was closely monitored for the next 6 mos. and encouraged to seek out some professional help, which I did.

This is my story. I call it my new reality, no I can't run anymore, but I can walk, and I walk with a new awareness that I perhaps wouldn't have today, if I hadn't had to walk this journey. So you may never play the guitar like you did, but don't stop, play easier tunes. Show your children different chords, or better yet let them help you! It is humbling and joy full at the same time. When my son was learning to play, and he was having difficulty with a fret, I would hold the strings down for him. To me that is what is important.

Good luck on your journey...and once again this is only my story and opinion. Take what you want from it...

Peace,

pondergirl

Take the Poll

How has chronic pain affected your life, positively or negatively?
  • This has actually been a gift.
  • This is the worst thing that could have happened to me.
  • I am a more positive person due to my chronic pain.
  • I am a more negative person due to my chronic pain.
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_2912 responded:
I don't complain, there is and always will be some worse off than I....

Taoskier responded:
We have much in common. I used to run and I can't run. I used to have a pain doctor or about 10 years. I got fired. But the irony is he's the one who showed me how to get fired. I told him that I was concerned about drug interaction. So he gave me an instant release medication. The idea was that I could get off of the pain medication if I needed to take another type of medication. I followed his directions and he fired me; he would not talk to me after. I have only seen him once since. He was the anesthesiologist for my wife's shoulder operation. He just gave me a stupid grin. And my wife said he was rude to her.

I am very sorry it took so long to get back to you. The positive tone of your letter cheered me up. I'll never play guitar again but I might take up the ukulele. You should check out Julia Nunes, also known as Jaaaaa, on YouTube. I guess there's always hope.

Not that I really had to, but I dictated most of this letter using the dictation function on my iPad. I'm pretty busy right now. But I might get back to you, though I have to say though I can be lazy sometimes. Best of luck.

Taoskier

Taoskier responded:
To Pondergirl,

I'm a bit of a procrastinator, which is why it's taken a year for me to thank you for your response. I won't bother you much with my current tale of woe, which resulted from an accident (no one seriously hurt, as far as I know). I had no alcohol in my system and took only a very small amount of legally prescribed medication some six to seven hours earlier. I guess it was the trauma, but it appears my main offense was failure to urinate on command. After having had two docs "fire" me for having negative tests, I wasn't concerned in the slightest that the test would be positive. Alas, I was unable to provide the sample. Now I'll have to pay thousands to an attorney to get out of this mess, whatever it is. Perhaps I misjudged the speed of an oncoming car, but I was completely sober. Which brings me to the point: You said at one point something like What the hell, I'll have a drink. That kind of thinking can get you into a much worse jam than I'm in. Mixing booze and meds can kill you and perhaps others. Since Jan 4 it's been 28 years since I've had a drink. So it can be done. If I had a choice between booze and battery acid I'd take the latter. I'm not going to preach to you. If you have an alcohol problem you know where to go. It's free. And somehow it actually works. Best of luck to you. Peace too, as Neil Young would say, "back in the day." Incidentally, Neil recently kicked booze and pot out of his life. Now he drinks cranberry and soda. My choice was cranberry and Perrier. Did that for about the first 15 years. And, believe it or not, there were times I felt I was drinking sparkling red wine and everything was just fine.

Taoskier

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
41 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.