Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RFA on my knee
manontheroof posted:
As a 47 year old mother of 4, the youngest being 17 year old twins and one grandson who is 2 , chronic pain is one of the most difficult challenges with which I have dealt. Pain meds for my degenerating discs and serve arthritis in both knees have been a daily part of my life for over 8 years.
I hate the manic feeling with oxycodone, hydracodone makes me sleep and well, I just decided enough! I found the best pain doctor and he has been treating me with RFA's on each side of my back for 5 years. I need one per side about every 18 months. This makes the pain manageable and allows me to take less and less pain meds and that is so motivating!
After 3 bad knee scopes in 11 months (2011), i was told I needed to have my knees replaced. NO WAY! Not at 47. My doctor just performed the RFA on my right knee and tomorrow will be one week. Once the minor bruising goes away, my right knee will be virtually pain free! I have to have both sides of my back and left knee done ASAP, but what a difference.
I was only the third knee which he had performed this treatment. His mom got the first two. When he suggested doing the same thing to my knee as my back I was so excited. Has anyone else out there had this done on his/her knee? I feel so lucky to have a pain doctor who understands my needs, believes me when I tell him if something does not work, but still has strict rules policies to keep me safe.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Wonderful to hear this has been so helpful to you.

Just to be sure... you're referring to Radiofrequency Ablation ?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Fibromyalgia Pain
I had a lot of pain in my lower back. The doctor diagnosed it as Fibromyalgia. He prescribed lyrica which works really well. I still have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.