Skip to content
Leg/Foot/Knee Pain
tomshelby posted:
A month or so ago, I went to buy new sneakers. I've never had a problem with sneakers before and when I tried on my new pair in the store, they fit great. When I got them home and started walking in them, the left shoe felt extremely tight. I tried just walking it out, thinking I needed to break it in more, but it never loosened up, and the shoe was painful to wear when I walked. I have two dogs, so I do a lot of walking (I have a desk job, so at least I don't have to walk all day). I went out for new shoes and the same thing happened: felt great in the store, felt awful at home. In total, I went through 4 pairs of sneakers before getting a pair of New Balance 609's and a shoe stretcher. It's helped a bit but it's not a complete fix.

I have plantar fasciitis so I have to wear insoles for it. If I keep the insoles out, the shoes actually feel comfortable and roomy, but then when I walk around, my heel starts getting very sore, and whenever my PF acts up, I get bad knee pain with it. When I put the insoles back in, the sneaker feels tight. I've also been having aches up and down both of my legs, the type of aches you'd get after a long day of being on your feet or walking or standing for hours. The thing is, I feel these aches even when I haven't done anything.

Okay, I think I covered everything. I can't get in to see my doctor until the middle of next week, so I guess I'll have to tough it out till then. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Magsjeanea responded:
I always take my inserts with me when I go buy shoes, you might want to do the same thing. You might not waste your money buying the incorrect shoes. Hope you find painfree days. Take good care,
Love Goes There,

Mag's Jeaneau

_swank_ responded:
I have a hard time buying shoes all the time. I'm flat-footed and one foot has had a lot of surgery so nothing but New Balance wide shoes fit right. However, there's a Crocs store near my house and now that I've discovered all the different styles that's about all I wear.

annette030 responded:
My left and right feet have always been difficult to fit in one pair of shoes as they are not the same size I had surgery on the left foot as a child. I am 61 years old now.

My mom always put her thumbnail so there was one width of her nail between the end of my toes and the end of the shoe. I just read a day or two ago, that everyone should do that when fitting shoes. HOORAH, MOM!!! She also made sure there was enough room at the ball of the foot.

I also suggest trying on shoes at the end of the day, when your feet are at their largest.

I believe that the shoes should fit when you buy them, do not expect them to stretch enough to fit later on. I bought one pair of beautiful black boots that were a half size too small, but were on sale for only 10% of the original price. I took the all-leather boots to my cobbler and he stretched them for me, I could wear them for maybe an hour at a time, then had to change out of them. After a couple of years, they fit. I think I lost weight also, which matters.

I would keep an extra pair of shoes handy, that you know fit properly and change them as needed. Always use your inserts when you try on shoes to buy. If you are going to be using them most of the time, use them when you try on shoes, like Mags suggested.

I wear Birkenstocks out nearly all the time, and go barefoot at home. Shoes are in the corner by the front door...

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.