Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chronic pain has become exhausting.
ctbeth posted:
Hi friends,

I am so tired. Lately, I've been sleeping much of the morning away and just feel fatigue much of the time.

I've read, on this community, about some of us pain patients taking Ritalin or another newer stimulant to help counteract the fatigue.

I do not have fibromyalgia; I know that persons with FMS feel this fatigue as part of the syndrome. For me, just the experience of living with pain hour-after-hour, day-after day, year-after-year is an exhaustive experience.

This past week, I made brief mention with the PA in my MD's practice. She said that I'd have to discuss it with my MD upon my next appt with him. We discussed the pros and cons.

Naturally, I do not want to add more drugs to my system or my life. I have no interest in "getting high" on amphetamines. I just want a little-improved quality of day-to-day life.

I would greatly appreciate hearing about others experience an thoughts on this matter.

I do have time for careful consideration before my next appt with my pain management MD.

Thank you so much.

Bet
FirstPrevious12NextLast

lazydazey responded:
Hi Bet, sorry you are so exhausted, dealing with pain every day (and night!) is exhausting and depressing, I so understand! I don't have experience with what you are considering, but maybe you should look at it this way-we take our pain meds so we can have not only some relief from the pain, but also so we can have some quality of life, and so we can do what we need to do; why should this be any different? If your doctor thinks it's ok for you to try some kind of med to help you have more energy, so that you can do what you need to do, I don't see anything wrong with that.
However, exhaustion can also be a sign of depression (as you probably already know) and I'm wondering if that could have a part in how you are feeling, something you might also want to discuss frankly with your doctor. But your doctor needs to make sure there isn't some new something going on that is causing this too. You have my empathy, so sorry you are not feeling well...but as you said, it is about quality of life, and there isn't much of that if you are exhausted all the time! I know you're not wanting this to get "high", just to have some semblance of a normal life. And being tired, not being able to get thngs done can lead to feelings of being overwhelmed as things pile up (been there, done that, no fun!) and that can just make you more tired! See what your doctor says, and if he agrees to let you try it, I say go for it. If it helps, if it makes your life better, why not? You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, hope you feel better. Take care, and God bless you.

ctbeth replied to lazydazey's response:
Thank-you so much for your kind reply.

No, I am not feeling depressed at all. I've been quite fortunate in that way.

The point(s) you make are helpful and give me more to consider while trying to decide. I'm fairly confident that my MD will agree if I'm certain that I'd like to try that option.

Thanks.

Bet

TDXSP08 responded:
Hey Bet when was the last time you had your B12 and Methylmalonic Acid levels checked, i recently talked to my Neuro about feeling nothing but tired and worn out all the time and he did my blood work and bang there it was B12 deficiency anemia and he said that since i have had long standing Crohns disease that getting older has just brought it to the surface, when i was younger i could live deficient but now i can not, so i have less red blood cells and am fatigued and shedding hair like my dog, now i am getting daily shots of b12 and he thinks in a couple of weeks i will feel better and once my levels get up we can go to 1 X week and then to 1 x a Month down the road. something to think about.

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

ctbeth replied to TDXSP08's response:
Hi Andre'
It's always nice to hear from you.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

In actuality, I had complete blood chemistry assessed in October. It was then that m MD discovered that I had low Vitamin D and I do take a daily supplement. I also take a daily multivitamin designed specifically for vegetarians, as I think you already know that I'm a vegetarian.

I will, however, ask my primary care MD about these things you'd mentioned. I'll see her in a couple of weeks.

TTYSoon,

Bet

annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi, Bet

I would also check your Vit. B12 level before making any decision about taking stimulants.

I personally opt to avoid them, but we all have to decide for ourselves what to do in this regard.

One problem I see with stimulants of any kind, is that they may interfere with sleeping properly, which I find very important in managing pain. The other problem is I remember when valium was the number one drug sold in the entire world, shortly after that came amphetamines. They were sold as a way to sharpen ones mind and get an edge on the rest of the folks. They also counteracted the side effects of the valium. They did not believe that amphetamines were addictive or dangerous back then (in the late 60s, early 70s). I also remember the junkies that switched from opiates like heroin to amphetamines, bad news.

I do know that the latest stimulants are not amphetamines, but I will wait awhile and see where this path takes us, before I try them. I have already read about Ritalin and other ADHD meds being abused in the same way amphetamines were on college campuses back in the day.

Take good care of yourself meanwhile, I know you will decide carefully with your doctor what to do.

Hugs, Annette

TDXSP08 replied to ctbeth's response:
Yep and Rhea and i went to "Trader Joe"s" and bought veggie chips and Carrot juice to drink and snack on when Driving home from the Mall and of course the veggie chips where an apology for the Venti Caramel Machiatoo at Starbucks to my body (along with a ton of other food stuff for the House and dinner that night).

I think you remember that Rhea has special dietary needs due to allergies, i'm pretty sure she told you about them, the basic's at least. And yes i do remember you are a vegetarian i just don't remember to what degree ? As some will eat fish and poultry and some will totally exclude all of those and all dairy products also?

I bought Rhea several Vegetarian and Vegan cookbooks that are hardbound and about the size of an old fashioned encyclopedia and she has been absolutely thrilled with some of the recipes she has discovered in them and i also bought her that oil harb mister that she wanted, fill it with various herb's and spices and some good Olive Oil and there is a steel mesh screen inside so when you spray it it does not suck up the Herb's and spices into the sprayer and clog it but you get all the flavor.

let us know when and how you resolve this issue,because we all can use pointers.

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

bren_bren responded:
I've been taking Hydrocortisone (pill form) for about 6 mos & it has helped tremendously. Pain med's lower your bodie's cortisol levels, thus sucking the energy right out of you. It's a more natural solution, if you can find an internist who knows about it, & knows how to test cortisol levels. I'm doubting it's just 1 thing, thus requiring more than just 1 solution. Vit. deficiencies contribute as well, as others have mentioned. Good luck, hope you feel better soon. It isn't easy, been there. B

MissMerri responded:
I also have chronic pain and i agree it does wear you down especially if there is no break. Maybe you should see about getting stronger pain meds. Sounds like your meds are not taking care of the pain. I also take Provigil it is a stimulate.
Good Luck.
MissMerri

lkn4relyf responded:
Hello ct Beth my name is Dave and i read your post and i can say it sounds so familiar , living in pain all the time is very tiring in itself , it really draggs me down !! just trying to fall asleep is a task for me to deal with. Sometimes it takes me days to sleep even for a few hours , fatigue comes from not sleeping well for me anyway , I know myself the feeling of being tired all the time and no energy it itself has been very trialsome in my daily walk. You are not alone i feel your sorrow everyday i came from a working background of 28 years hard labor and now im on ssd and feel so worthless at times , even lost my marriage from not being able to support my wife like she deserves , At any rate ill be thinking of all of you when in prayer your friend in Christ Dave.

nhfrancoqva replied to TDXSP08's response:
Well that is something, but wait till you get a squint at what's sitting behind the monkey wrench......ROFL

Anon_57995 replied to nhfrancoqva's response:
nhfrancoqva-

what does that mean?

ctbeth replied to lkn4relyf's response:
Dave,

Thanks for writing.

I am beginning to realise that it is probably sleeping poorly that has lead to my fatigue.

If I can sleep at all at night, I awaken every hour or so. This has got to be taking a toll on me, as others who have sleep difficulties have said.

periwinkle52 responded:
Good morning! I feel your pain! I know exactly what you are saying. For instance, yesterday, I spent over half of the day @ 2 different Dr., appts., in & out the Pharmacy & Grocery Stores. Today, I feel like I've been run over by a truck! I've been a Chronic Pain Patient for over 13yrs., now, yet it still freaks me out, when I have days like this! It's like, WOW, Did I really do that much?? Apparently! My illness, gets worse, constantly, although, I guess I take it in stride. I'm not sure anything the Dr., told me @ this point, would shock me! But, obviously, it shocks our bodies! I would LOVE to know what "Normal" is! I wish you much luck in the future, and please know, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! periwinkle

An_243002 responded:
Hi CtBeth,
I'm sorry that you too are also living in chronic pain. As some of the others have suggested, you should have your doctor check your B12 levels. For some, anything under 400 will cause neurological problems, fatigue, etc. I noticed that you are a vegetarian which puts you at a much higher risk of having a B12 deficiency. Also, if you take any type of meds such as Prilosec, Prevacid, etc for GERD you also up your risk. I had to go to quite a few doctors to find out what was causing my fatigue and finally one doctor did the test. Everyone kept telling me I was depressed and wouldn't believe me that I really wasn't. I have been living in pain since I was 10 and am now 46, so I think I would know if I was depressed or not. The B12 shot doesn't kick in immediately but within a few weeks - month or so depending on your levels, you will soon feel better. You can also buy sublingual B12 tablets at your local pharmacy, if you wanted to add it to you daily (weekly) regimen. It's not a cure but it sure does help. I hope you feel better.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.