Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
treatment option
trail07 posted:
How serious is bone bruising narrow of disc l5 s1 are there any other treatment obtions what is the risk with damange to l4-l5 also talking about fusion

Anon_57995 responded:
It sounds as if you really might consider further discussion with your MD.

This would be an opportunity to ask about treatment options.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by,

"bone bruising narrow of disc l5 s1"

I would assume that your problem is L5- S1. Depending upon what the problem is, there are many treatments for pain, but you did not say if you are experiencing pain.

It is difficult for me to interpret what you are saying, as it is all in one sentence.

If you could try to explain a bit more clearly, I hope you'd get further replies.

trail07 replied to Anon_57995's response:
I had surgery in12/07 for herniated discL5-S1. My recent M.R.I. disc is still bulging and very narrow. Dr commented and showed how the bone is bruising from hitting each other.
Also L4-L5 is starting to bulge.
Sorry for short in a sentence. first time trying webmd
Thanks

trail07 responded:
I need to make another appointment to consult. Told me everyone reacts differently. No definte answer on how long I should wait
Thanks for your reply

David Maine, MD responded:
It sounds like you are referring to a radiologic finding (MRI) termed Modic Changes. Modic changes are a fairly common observation in MR imaging. They are signal intensity changes in vertebral body marrow adjacent to the endplates (top and bottom) of degenerative discs. The type of Modic change can help one identify a more acute process or chronic process. This is only a radiologic finding and clinical decisions should be based on presenting symptoms. You should discuss all this with your doctor. If you have any more specific questions please feel free to let us know. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.