Skip to content
What's Your Motivation?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Living with chronic pain isn't easy, however long it's been part of your life. So what helps you get yourself out of bed and moving and taking care of things you need to manage each day? What inspires you to live a life despite the pain?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell
FirstPrevious12NextLast

katmartinez01 responded:
It takes everything I have to get out of bed in the morning, but then I think of the kids, the dogs, the house and the bills, everything that depends on me and if I make money. That is what motivates me to get up. The pain never stops, even when I am up, but thinking about these things gets me going.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to katmartinez01's response:
Having kids is one of the things that always pulled me forward too through any pain or dark times. My sons are grown now but I was a single mom and sole support for a long time and, well, you just can't let the pain stop you from doing all the things you need to do.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

1wareaglefan responded:
Hi, Caprice...this is a great question. My kids are grown, too, so it's just my husband and me at home. Also we're both retired, so I can't say "getting to work" is my motivation.

Having battled depression for many years, I know that if I allowed myself to stay in bed all day everyday, I'd fall back into the pit. So I don't. It's a rare day that I don't get out of the house and do something. Usually it's doing something for my mother (in an assisted living home), or it may be just grocery shopping or lunch with friends.

So I guess my motivation is to keep myself in a good frame of mind, and that involves moving and interacting with others.

Blessings! Elizabeth

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Hi Elizabeth,

You make a great point about how depression can be lurking around the corner (for any of us) if we don't take steps to keep it at bay.

You worded it very well. I feel the same.
~Joseph Campbell

JenPBDBP2 responded:
What inspires me? Nothing inspires me. However if I don't drag myself out of bed, my son and I don't eat and have no place to sleep at night because we'd be on the streets. Possible homelessness can be a great motivator. Beyond that,there is no point.

pawlayer responded:
I love life. No matter the pain, it goes on. I've learn to adapt and find other things to do. Despite it all, I am grateful to even be able to get out of the bed in the mornings.

cd2506 responded:
Some days are harder than others but knowing that I have to help provide for my family helps a great deal...I also enjoy my new profession after losing my primary occupation and feel an obligation to my new career. The two combined are the greatest motivators, but without pain medication and constant doctoring, it would not be possible.

justnd responded:
I have several things that motivate me. I have found that I need more than one. Some days the pain is just so overwhelming and the first hour of the day can be nearly impossible to work thru.
My Grandchildren are a great motivator. Creating good memories with them is a great reason to get out of bed almost any morning.
I spend a lot of time watching and photographing the wildlife in my backyard. I live in the city, so it's mostly Squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits. What's really interesting are the birds. We feed them and have a fountain birdbath that attracts a large variety of birds. Especially in the Spring and Fall when so many are migrating. Seeing a new species is very exciting. And I post my pictures on fb where other birders can see and appreciate them. Finding others with similar interests is a great way to set the pain aside for a bit. It's never gone, tho. But finding ways to put it on the back burner makes life much more interesting.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to JenPBDBP2's response:
I found the same, Jen. I was in the same situation for many years.
~Joseph Campbell

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to pawlayer's response:
Gratitude is a great state of mine, Pawlayer.
~Joseph Campbell

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to cd2506's response:
How wonderful, Cd, that you found a new profession you enjoy!
~Joseph Campbell

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to justnd's response:
Grandchildren and interests that keep you enjoying life... great, Justnd!
~Joseph Campbell

vesuvius13 responded:
Back when pain was just a constant issue in my life my family and my job as a football coach and teacher got me going every day. Fortunately I loved my career and my family so I was excited to be up and going despite the pain. I would do as much as I could limiting myself only as the pain required.

Three major spinal surgeries in the 1990s followed by another 5 years was when the pain and limitations got to the point that life was barely livable. Today my life focuses around my pain and impairment as it dominates everything in my life. Still my wife, kids, and granddaughter have me fighting the pain and side effects from my medications to get as much as I can out of life. This isn't every day as many days the pain/medications keep me out of it for the day.

Since becoming totally disabled and dealing with such severe pain in spite of my strong medications, I deal with today only. If I thought about the pain I have been going through in the past, I would be too depressed to move today. On the other hand, if I thought about how much pain I still face in my life it would be too overwhelming to go on. Instead I deal with today's pain because I know no matter how bad it is today, I can live through it and do as much as I can.

When I dealt with severe pain it was enough to want to be a good dad to my kids, a good husband for my wife, and a good teacher/coach to the students in my school. Once the pain got far worse than I ever imagined it could be, I just have to take each day as it comes. I am very thankful my wife and kids have stayed with me despite the disruption my spinal condition has caused in our lives.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to vesuvius13's response:
You describe something I've found too, Vesuvias, that it's really important to focus only on each day. Looking behind or too far ahead can be overwhelming and discouraging, but day by day is doable and if I can find a reason to laugh or smile each of those days, all the better.

I'm so glad you have a loving family around you.
~Joseph Campbell

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.