Skip to content
Someone's Listening
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
A member on one of my other communities posted this and I thought I'd share it here as it addresses something that is often discussed here (it's the first of what will be three parts):

The War Over Prescription Painkillers

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

annette030 responded:
While William Hurwitz was still practicing (I visited his website after reading articles about how the DEA was picking on him), I was appalled by the way he ran his practice, per his own website.

I agree that chronic pain patients may have a difficult time finding proper treatment, but I have a hard time thinking this doctor was helping people rather than lining his own wallet. Just my opinion.

Take care, Annette

Anon_160307 responded:
Great Article!! It is about time someone went to the defense of all of us out there that have dealt with the undertreatment of chronic pain for years, decades and missed out on so much of life that those without chronic pain take for granted. I have been so sick of the all the "war on drugs" articles. This read was refreshing!

tuloud54 responded:
Does this guy hit the nail on the head. Been a pain patient since 2007. Had to stop work in May,2008 when my pain in left hand went up to my shoulder. I am not nor have I ever been suicidal in my 57 years. Without meds,I wished I would die. Went to pain mgmt clinic in new town after being on 50 mcg Fentanyl patch and 5mg Percocet/3-4 perday for 2 years. Moved 100 miles away to take care of dying sister and brother in law with broken hip. I was initially excited to go to pm figuring these people are the front line in treatment. Sister died and then the nightmare began. Pain clinic took away Percocet and I figure,whatever you want me to do,I'm good with it. After a month and a half I realized I could barely sit through a meal due to cold temp aggravating my hand and arm. Stopped doing anything where normal temp was involved. Made pm aware that the patch only was good but my activities have stopped because the patch itself was not giving me sufficient relief. I told them and they basically said live with it,you'll never be completely free of pain. So much for being excited to get specialized help. One patch only lasted for 2 days and I called them and they said I would have to do w/o for a day. Doesn't seem like much but when My pain was bad enough to leave a job I love. one day hurts. Learned to guard my pain patches carefully,afraid to take any kind of relaxing shower for fear of patch coming off. Became paranoid and taped patches edges so I would never have one come off. Just totally scared not knowing if it was going to work because no other pain med was available until due date. This is just wrong. Dr was just writing a script every month and didn't care less about my quality of life. Got a new dr last month and hopefully he'll listen,So far,so good. I have never abused,sold,traded or bartered my meds with anyone. Your punishing people who already got enough problems because some idiot decided to get high and die. Big Brother needs to go to his room and leave the quality of my life between my dr and me. Peace.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.