Skip to content
may others learn from my experience
An_243157 posted:
I have been on Narcotic medications for over 12 years. I recently left a Doctor who I was with for 3 years. I wanted to go and find someone that would do something other than just write scripts. I was taking fentanyl patch for 3 years so my new Doctor wanted to reset my brain. He put me on Oxycontin40mg then he added 10mg Oxycontin to go along with it.I also take Diluadid 8mg up to 5 a day. Well I couldn't handle the Oxycontin and it made me feel almost like I was taking nothing. Doctor then asks me if I want to go back on the patch. I said No I would like to try the Opana. I was put on 40mg Opana with addition to 10mg Opana. ON this Opana I feel like I am not covered. WHen I changed my meds from one to the other I informed them that I had thrown my Oxycontin out. No Problem. Well I knew that I was going back on the patch after having the conversation with the Nurse on the phone. I had pitched my OPana . They informed me that they would put me back on the Fentanyl patch only if I would bring the meds in. I couldn't do that and now I am without anything for 14 days. I asked why I wasn't informed of this and I would of made sure that I would of kept everything. I made a decision to try to go back to my old Doctor and explain why I had left and see if I could go back to him. Well he said if you get a letter stating that you are no longer a patient of that clinic and I will see you. The Doctors office received the letter and then told me that he agrees with the Doctor of titrating me off of all narcotic medication. I said that was never talked about. I had a fentanyl patch waiting for me if I had brought the opana back. There are other ways of treating pain without narcotics. Well I got ahold of the letter and it says no such thing. The letter explained what the Doctor had planned for me and that he was giving me my fentanyl patch back. If that Doctors office didn't want me back then why not just say so? I lost 2 Doctors today and now I have only one dose of medicaton.

Anon_160307 responded:
I am sorry to hear about the loss of two doctors and your lack of supply of pain medication. I never throw out anything unless I am absolutely certain I won't need it in the future. Many doctors (if not all) are unpredictable.

How long did you try the Opana for? It truly does take 3-4 days for the medication to reach a steady state level in the bloodstream. I am on 30 mg twice a day and it works far better than anything I have tried over the past 12 years of battling chronic pain. But at first, it wasn't working well at all and made my pain worse. I had to talk to several pharmacists and eventually one told me when I should expect better relief and like clockwork, the pain relief came in right on time after 3 days of taking the medication every 12 hours.

Were you using generic oxymorphone ER or brand name Opana ER? I used to think that all generics were the exact same as brand name drugs minus the difference in inactive ingredients. But I was surprised when I tried the generic Oxymorphone ER as it didn't work nearly as well as the brand. I researched it more and discovered that it is because the generic Oxymorphone ER does NOT have the TimerX -N formula within the pill because it is trademarked by Penwest pharmaceuticals only to be used by Endo pharmaceuticals for the manufacturing of Opana ER. Gruenthal pharmaceuticals in Germany created the TimerX -N technology and sold it Penwest Pharmaceuticals; therefore, it is not available to Actavis the manufacturer of generic oxymorphone ER. This TimerX -N technology provides true 12 hour dosing such that the medicine does really last 12 hours (sometimes longer) versus 6-8 hours like the morphine ER I was taking. The steady state concentration of medication also remains at its peak achieved 2 hours after dosing for the full 12 hours. When I brought this up to my doctor, he confirmed that what I had read was true so for now I am forking over $250 a month for brand name Opana ER. The generic oxymorphone ER has some inferior time release formula embedded in it that affects its potency and its consistency through the 12 hour period. But it does have the same active ingredient...I guess how it works in extended release form doesn't have to be the same as the brand name formula.

I hope you find a new doctor soon and I wish you hadn't thrown out your total supply so quickly like that.

suzy059 responded:
Having been in a similar situation about a year ago - different circumstances, same results - I felt like I had to say something, After years on narcotics I'm sure you already know this but...you CAN'T just all of a sudden go without any meds. Your body won't know what hit it. And to add withdrawl to the pain you already have is just plain dangerous. Can either of those doctors help so that you won't have to go through withdrawl?

djsgrandma replied to Anon_160307's response:
Thanks for your response. I was on the Fentanyl for so long and I went off of that to give my brain a break(lol) . They gave me the Oxycontin and I told them I had pitched that and went to the Opana. That was ok with them. When I was going into the appointment I had my purse with one weeks worth and the rest I pitched . I knew going in that he was changing me. Don't tel me that it's okay to pitch one but when I pitch the other it's not. I tried the Opana for over 2 weeks. I was itching and breaking out all over my body. My old pain Doctor was taking me back only if he received a letter stating that I would never go back to the current Doctor. He received that letter and the office Insurance girl lied to me and said that he waanted me off all Narcotics. I have the letter in my purse going to the next Doctor. I have never Doctor shopped nor got anything without everyone knowing what is going on. I just don't think it was right what they did. I get it but it still hurts.

djsgrandma replied to suzy059's response:
The old Doctor refused to see me because i caught them lying to me. The new Doctor I seen I don't know. THey know what happened to me and they are mad. How dirty. THey gave me a list of Doctors in the area. I have an appointment on the 9th. WHen you go to the er they give you a script for Norco 10 mg and they give you ten and wish you on your way.

annette030 replied to djsgrandma's response:
The ER is no place to even try to deal with chronic pain issues. What else can they do but what they did, and hand out a few Norco and a list of doctors to follow up with. They are trained to deal with emergencies and not chronic pain issues.

I hope you and the new doctor get on well and things go nicely on the 9th.

Take care, Annette

Anon_160307 replied to djsgrandma's response:
Hi djsgrandma,

I am so sorry that the Opana caused horrible side effects for you. I experienced some nasty side effects at first including the itching but they have subsided now. The worst were the panic attacks and head pressure. I have been taking Opana ER 30 mg for almost a month on Thursday.

What they did to you was very uncompassionate and as you stated, down right "dirty". I know that you have been a compliant patient and didn't deserve the treatment that was given to you. I really hope your appointment goes well on the 9th as well.

Take care.

djsgrandma replied to annette030's response:
Annette030, I didn't go to the ER for pain medication. I went to the ER because I had trouble with my breathing and I felt as if my heart was coming out of my chest. The ER Doctor gave me the Norco because he felt I was in the beginning stages of withdrawl and believe or not it helped.

I went to the Doctor on the 9th and he gave me my Diluadid and started me back on the Fentanyl patch. He gave me the 50mcg every 2 days. Granted it is not where I was mcg wise but it was a start. He knew that it wouldn't be enough but will increase me next week. I guess after a month of not being on the patch I could not need as much. I was on 150mcg for 3 years. Even though I was a past patient of this clinic I have never seen this Doctor before. The Pschologist I have know for 13 years . I am glad someone is there that knows me. It is very hard starting new again. I do know that Medicare doesn't pay for drug tests but once a year. My old clinic would test me every 4 months. Very expensive. Take care, DJSNANA.

You probably were in withdrawal. But, that is what the ER doctors do, they make sure you aren't dying of anything, and give you enough meds, hopefully, to get you to your own doctor.

Hopefully, the new doctor will work out fine.

Take care, Annette

If you were off the fentanyl for a month, he did right by starting you at a lower dose. It is easy to increase it slowly until your pain is managed better.

There are different kinds of drug tests. My doctor did one that I was billed over $400 for, she called them and told them I was on Medicare, and took care of it for me. After she joined another group, they did one too, I asked her Medical Assistant if it was as pricey as the first one, and she said no, it was just a simple urine dip at the office, like a screening drug test rather than one that tells them exactly how much medicine is in your system.

Take care, Annette

I also had the headaches and the panic attacks. I was driving down the road and all of the sudden my chest was hurting and started sweating terrible. I was scared to death. I don't have high blood pressure or anything like that so I assumed it was a panic attack. I went home and laid down in a dark room to calm myself. So far so good with the new Doc. I seen there Psych Doctor who I already know for 13 years. I felt real comfortable with him(thank god) . He is recommending to the pain Doctor that I go back on my regular amount of Fentanyl (150mcg) and then see how I do. If I start to feel like on the second day it is wearing off like before then I schedule the trial for the pump. Take care, DJSnana

djsgrandma replied to annette030's response:
Annette030 , I agree with you! It just hurts like hell waiting for the next appointment. THe Pschologist is recommending that I go back on my original dose. Hopefully by next Tuesday I will be a happy camper again. There is just so far they can go with the Fentanyl. For 3 years 150mcg every 2 days was fine. Sure I had break thru pain but it was better than any oral medication I was on. I take the Diluadid for break thru. They tell me that there is 3 kinds of meds for the pain pump. Diluadid, Morphine and the Fentanyl. I am scared to death when the Doctors want a urine test. Some of them cost 250-400 each time. I understand that they need it for records but when they only pay for it once a year, then I have a problem. SOme Doctors give you a break when your insurance don't pay. 50.00 for the test. One Doctor mad eme pee every month because I had good insurance at the time. I finally said wait a minute! One thing I have learned through all of this mess. I will NEVER throw away meds again and I am not afraid of speaking up. I am getting a combination lock box. That way I can just go in and punch in the combo and open it up. One thing I found out that if anyone is ever on the Fentanyl patch you can call the manufacturer and they will send you covers for them. Free of cost. Hope you have a good day and thanks for the reply. It is nice to know that I am not alone! DJS nana

ctbeth responded:
My pain management contract states that I will return all unused medications to the MD office for proper procedure and disposal.

If your contract did not say this, how could they expect you to know this?

If your contract does say this, then you would have been in violation of your contract.

When this happens, we who take opioid medicines are in a difficult situation. This is one-of-many reasons that we need to carefully read and understand our pain medication contract. Any questions we have should be answered and each patient is entitled to a copy of the contract.

It is so, so important that we fully understand our rights and responsibilities as stated in the contract.

I hope things work out for you.

tuloud54 replied to djsgrandma's response:
I see you were on Fentanyl and used for 2 days. Mine say 72hrs but never seem to last that long. Are yours scheduled to be changed every two days. My dr thinks there is no way the ppatch doesn't last the full 72. Usually they do but God forbid it ddoesn't.Curious if others have noticed this. Good luck to you.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
46 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.