Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
any advice is welcome!!
Kas99 posted:
Hello to all!Ive become a new member to this community hoping to receive and give advice and empathy to people like me who must live day in/out with moderate to severe chronic pain.I would REALLY appreciate any advice/suggestions to an issue i'm having.I'm trying to find a comparable subsituition for roxicodone.The medication is obsolete where i live.Ive been taking roxicodone with either ms contin or duragesic pathces for 6 years and now i am unable to continue this treatment due to availalability.What would be a good replacement (for the roxicodone) medication to be taken in addition to an extended release medication?(F.Y.I.-My stomach cannot handle the acetemetiphen in percocet.)

annette030 responded:
Just let your doctor know and tell him you are having a problem with availability. A pharmacist may also be useful.

I take generic oxycodone in 5 mg. pills, works fine for me, and the 5 mg. is available where I live. The pharmacist just wrote on the label how many to take. There is also immediate release morphine, and other meds also.

Take care, Annette

David Maine, MD responded:
There are a number of immediate release medications that can be used for chronic pain. I would discuss this with your prescribing doctor. You should be able to find an alternative that provides effective relief. Roxicodone (made by Xanodyne pharmaceuticals) is a name brand for oxycodone. You should be able to get a generic of this as well. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.