Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
A good Pain management doctor in Massachusetts, anyone help me please?
madamebovary posted:
I want to thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I am very sad and frustrated. I feel like giving up. I had head surgery 3 times over the last 10 years. While I just had superficial tumors removed, no brain implications....since then I have struggled with worsened insomnia, anxiety, bulging discs. I beg you even though this might be a bit wordy to please read and help if you can.

I am being seen by a practice. My gp is in the practice and was nice in the past. But after being prescribed a horrific mood stabilizer instead of an anti anxiety med by one of the in practice psychiatrists, i have paid out of pocket to see a psych who isnt scared to prescribe what has always worked....benzos and ambien. I am very careful w my medicine and try to take as little as possible. And I have never upped my doses no matter how much it is harder to feel better. I have consistently taken the same amount of medicine for the last few years. Despite this, my dr. was bothered that I am being prescribed these medicines. But they are the only thing between me and stopping work

Meanwhile after my last head surgery I had a lot of spasms in my neck. I was told by my neuro, there is no neuro reason for this and it is unrelated.

I saw the on practice pain clinic. At first they said they didn't know what my problem was I just had scoliosis. After shots of cortisone, botox, low grade muscle relaxants, I became frustrated and asked for an MRI that found minor(they don't feel minor) bulging discs. After trying everything recommended, when their pain management guy became sick of me because my' minor' bulging discs that "shouldn't be that painful" seemed like he didn't want to treat me any more. I gave up and again paid out of pocket to see an orthopedist who prescribes soma. I do not like this medicine but sadly it helps my muscles.

I still haven't found the right way. I panic I will die like Heath ledger or Whitney h or Michael j because my dr thinks the meds I am taking are terrible. But I have chronic problems that are very real. I don't want to pop pills at all. I don't even go out on the weekends anymore I am so sad and in pain. I don't have a guy in my life because I feel useless. Everyone closeto me except my poor dad thinks I am a hypochondriac. And iam so so sad. I never chose this body.

But I am not asking what I meant to. I was horrified to find that my regular dr wouldn't even send me for an MRI when I injured myself this week. I could barely move in his office and he told me to go home and exercise. And it was like pulling teeth to get a short term prescription for pain medication, although he reluctantly gave it in the end. But more worrying to me was he just didn't take it seriously that I had hurt myself. Even though I cried on his exam table.

Please anyone out there can you please tell me where I can go for a gp and for a pain doctor who will understand me and not treat me like a drug addict? He's not even running tests anymore.....and I feel like crying because all I want is to be normal and go out without pain....

Please help me. I'm so so sad.

madamebovary responded:
Oh and an afterthought. I think it's terrible in this country that because some of us only find relief with medicines that potentially cause addiction that we are then treated like we are to be watched. I for one would give my arm to respond to more acceptable meds, or better yet not take any at all. And it is so ironic I live with constant panic that I will die a painful early death because of meds but yet I am treated like I get enjoyment out of this

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I am sorry you are experiencing all this and fully understand.

It is against the rules in all WebMD communities for any of us to recommend doctors. There is a link under the search bar at the top of the page for 'doctors'. This takes you the the WebMD Physician Search and you can use that tool. You can also provide an e-mail address that will not reveal personal information and members can contact you with recommendations in that manner.

I pray you find the answers and relief you are looking for.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

madamebovary responded:
Hi Dave

I am not trying to violate the rules. I am new to this site. Thank you for letting me know I can give my email so people after getting consent from their dr can privately send me a message. Here is an email with no personal info as you stated I must do

inceptiongirl@mail.com

I hope this is now acceptable? And now, doubting after your words anyone will dare to contact me, I would like to simply request anyone to validate my experience. I am crying from feeling so alone in my problems.

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
I am truly sorry that this has been such a challenging time for you. While we don't recommend specific doctors at WebMD, I would like to help you find some meaningful help for what you are going through.

First of all, I think you need to find a clinician who is willing to dive deeper into into what you are experiencing than just treating something that showed up on a MRI. You talked about having anxiety, insomnia, and a fear of dying like Mr. Ledger. An experienced counselor can help you work through some of the causes of what you may be dealing with. In addition, Massachusetts is the birthplace of the whole mindfulness movement that seems to work well with managing stress and chronic pain, and there may be a class on this in your area.

Working with someone who is an expert in movement, like a physical therapist for example, can help you get more active and address body mechanic problems that might be making you hurt more. An active body will ultimately be in less pain than an inactive one.

I think there is a lot more that can be done to help you that doesn't include more pills. Look for a team of providers that want to look at the big picture and treat the whole person, mind and body.

MisdiagnoseMe replied to madamebovary's response:
I HAD to reply. You sound so much like me. Check out my blog at misdiagnoseme.wordpress.com I hope you found a decent doc by now. I know what it's like, I want one as well. I've had 6 surgeries in 14 years for what allegedly was causing my pain.only the last surgery actually addressed what had been causing my pain for 15 years. The others were not even close to addressing the cause. I am so sick and tired of being treated like a drug addict when I am not - I am just on ONE pain med - and an extremely low dose at that. Still, I cannot find any doc to work WITH me to work on my pain issue. It's getting worse. At 48, I still think I deserve a life. I too am looking for a doctor in the Boston area that will treat me like an educated and intelligent human being and not some street rat. I am sickened by all the posts I read about people taking meds that docs won't even think about prescribing fir me! Where are these doctors? If anyone can help, please contact me at arasevera@gmail.com, or through my blog, referenced above. Thanks in advance. I hope I hear from someone that can help me soon.

Painsufferer41 responded:
I just wanted to say that I feel for you! I myself have suffered for years from pain & my story is almost identical to yours. I just came online to look up pain clinics in mass, as I have been getting cortisone injections every 8 weeks, of which I got today and am literally in so much more pain tonight which I'm not sure if it's actually just soreness from the actual needles or if it is a nerve problem from the pain. Either way, like you I feel as though my doctor doesn't believe me or care & am leary to even go back tomorrow & tell him that I am in excruciating pain now & literally cannot walk. (my shots were in my neck (for arthritis, herniated discs, & fibromyalgia) & my hip/rear for bursitis & sciatica from lower lumbar spondylosis.) Anyway, good luck to you & hang in there! If it weren't for my daughter I couldn't wake up every day & would also be ready to give up

annette030 responded:
Are you taking benzos, ambien, and soma now? And you asked your pcp for pain meds on top of that? I would be concerned also, if that is all happening at the same time. What are you doing that does not include drugs to manage your bulging discs, insomnia, and anxiety?

You did not mention what kind of MRI you wanted when you injured yourself this week, was it a spinal MRI of some kind? New spinal injuries generally do not need an MRI, and exercise is the right thing for him to prescribe for a new back injury as opposed to bedrest. I don't know exactly what he meant by exercise so it is hard to tell from your post.

I don't know if you will have to consider being "normal" as also having chronic pain. I expect to be in pain the rest of my life, I do consider myself "normal" though.

Take care of yourself. Find a new doctor if you wish, but do not base the choice on how free he is with his prescription pad.

Annette

Anon_1421 replied to Painsufferer41's response:
Painsufferer41-just had to jump in here-you posted that you had been getting cortisone injections every 8 weeks, but you didn't say how many you'd gotten so far, or if they had helped at all. Some people get good results from them, some do not; if you haven't gotten any relief from them by now, you most likely aren't going to and the doctor shouldn't be continuing to do them! If you do get some relief, that is good, but you should do some research on them-there is actually an article on this website (http://arthritis.webmd.com/steroid-injections ) that says excessively repeated injections can cause more problems-if they are infrequent (less than every three to four months) the chance of side effects are less. If your doctor just wants to keep doing injection after injection, run, don't walk away from him! Not meaning to scare you, just don't want anything to happen to you! You might try telling your doctor that the injections don't seem to be helping and ask what else he suggests-there are many different things that can be tried, not just meds but physical therapy, biofeedback and other things. Sorry, but I would not trust a doctor that doesn't seem to want to do anything but injections. Hope you find relief, and if your doctor isn't helping you, hope you can find one who does.

TDXSP08 responded:
You can use this website to help you ftnd a doctor, doctors that practice Pain Medicine come in two varieties:

Interventionist= a doctor who does injections, implanted pain pumps, implanted spinal stimulators, And surgery to try and correct or compensate what is causing the pain,they very rarely use Medication to control pain

Pain Management clinic: PT,OT, Acupuncture, Acupressure, Meditation , Massage , biofeedback , TENS
Medication's, CBT, Physiatrist , Group therapy, and much much much more"026"026

http://www.doctorsforpain.com

So as soon as you get a diagnosis you can use that link and find a Pain Doctor of your choice and get yourself an appointment.
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 48 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.