Skip to content
Husband to have Total Knee Replacement
meaningfulc1952 posted:
Hi All,
My husband had an implant put in his knee last year and it did not work out well. Now in May he is scheduled for a total knee replacement. I would appreciate hearing from any of you that have had this type of surgery so I know what to expect.

The Dr. also told my husband that his other knee is bone on bone and will probably need a total knee replacement too. I am real worried about all of this. The knee surgery he had last year was an implant that just did not solve his problem.
Any suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks,
Meaningfuld1952

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Meaningfulc and welcome to WebMD,

I encourage you to repost your message to our Knee and Hip Replacement community .
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

djsgrandma responded:
Mt Dad had a total knee replacement. He was older and in his 80's. He had them both done at the same time. He did very well and instead of going to a rehab facility they kept him in the hospital for rehab. He did wonderful after leaving the hospital and had those knees and no problems until he died 2 years later. We had wonderful help at the hospital he had it done at. Very supportive.DJSnana

annette030 responded:
I have known four women who had either one or both knees replaced in the last 25 years or so. All did well as far as mobility goes, which was their goal. But, all continued to have some kind of pain. They said it was different than before the surgery, but they all have had it. None take opiate meds anymore.

I think you need to make sure your husband has the right surgeon and hospital. The least amount of time he stays in the hospital the better, due to the risk of getting an infection. He also needs to be sure and do whatever the doctor tells him to do as far as rehab and exercise goes. Make sure he and the doctor are on the same page as far as his expectations after the surgery. Is he doing the surgery for pain management, or for mobility?

Take care, Annette

meaningfulc1952 replied to annette030's response:
Hi Annette,
My husband has horrific pain in the knee that is going to have the total knee replacement. He does not take any opiate meds for the pain. He does have some vicodin and skelaxin for the pain. He is very stubborn about taking his pain meds for now. When he has walked too much (like in an airport) he will take his meds then. His knee problem has affected his walking correctly. He did all of the PT but still it's a mess. His back also gives him a lot of pain because of how he walks now.

Thanks for your comment.
Meaningfulc 1952

_swank_ responded:
I'm not sure what you mean by implant but if it's the same as what they used to call a 'spacer' then those things stopped being used years ago as far as I know. They were totally useless and caused more problems more often than not.

I had a total knee replacement almost 2 years ago. This was after many, many years of knee problems caused by an injury in my teens. It was the 8th surgery on my knee. I still have some pain but it is not constant and certainly better than it was before. I don't regret having the surgery at all. I have a functional knee with tolerable pain and no worse than I have been dealing with for near 3/4 of my life.

Knee replacements have a very high success rate. The important thing to do is choose a good surgeon. Choose one that does a lot of replacements. Your husband should start getting in shape starting now. Swim, ride a bike, whatever. He needs a strong knee and body and he'll get through the surgery fine.

zorro1102 responded:
just had rt. knee replacement 3 weeks ago.I was walking
the day after surgery with help of walker and crutches.
doing good so far but i have pain by incision which is
annoying at times but taking pain pills to help me get
through day.tell husband to do only one knee at a time he
will need other leg to stand on for support during recovery.

zorro1102

03/13/12

annette030 replied to meaningfulc1952's response:
Vicodin is an opiate pain med. He should not wait to take his meds until the pain is severe. Better to take it earlier on, it will work better, his pain will be less, and in the end he will probably take less anyway. All this is old medical stuff I was taught in nursing school many, many years ago. Now that I have chronic pain, I have found this to be true.

My husband had a hip replaced several years ago, his gait also changed, and he got used to walking kind of hunched over before the surgery. The hip surgery is generally easier to get over than knee surgery.

Your husband may always have some kind of pain in his knee, but the best thing, I feel, is to see a good doctor or two or three before any new surgery. He may have already done this. Once his knee is fixed, work on his gait and posture with the doctor and a good PT.

Take care, Annette

meaningfulc1952 replied to annette030's response:
Hi Annette,
Thanks for your message. Yes, I know that vicodin is an opiate med, just forgot when I wrote my message here. My husband has seen 2 different surgeons and has decided on one for now and will have his surgery on May 1st. The hospital that they use is especially for orthopedic surgeries too. I feel confident that this is a good decision.
You wouldn't believe it but, my husband rides his bike most mornings before going to work. He just loves to ride that bike. I do not understand, but, he tells me that it actually helps his knee pain. I think maybe it's also from his endorphins kicking in maybe.
Meaningfulc1952

annette030 replied to meaningfulc1952's response:
My friends that had knee replacements also did recumbent bike riding in PT. I think because it is a non-impact exercise it is probably good for them.

I belly dance along with DVDs on the TV. I will never look or dance like the women in the DVDs, but I love doing it. I have done it for one hour every day for nearly three years now. The only break I took was on vacation for a week with my son and his family. If he loves it, encourage him to do it. Make sure he wears a helmet though.

Take care, Annette

_swank_ replied to meaningfulc1952's response:
Riding a bike is one of the best things you can do for a knee. That is how I prolonged the life of my knee. It keeps the muscles around the knee strong and the movement will also help keep the knee lubricated. The worst thing you can do for a knee is keeping it immobile. They need to move or the muscles will get weak and it will get stiff and unstable. I had my knee replaced almost two years ago. Whenever it starts getting stiff or sore I ride my stationary bike. The movement helps me to loosen up the joint which reduces the inflammation.

1wareaglefan replied to meaningfulc1952's response:
Hey, meaningfulc, I just wanted to jump in here and say that I'm having a TKR on that same day! I'm confident in my doctor, too. Maybe we'll have to compare notes afterwards.

I've heard that the main thing to remember is how important the rehab is afterward. I also have fibro, and a bit concerned how that's going to affect things.

I wish your husband the best! ELizabeth

meaningfulc1952 replied to _swank_'s response:
Hi to Annette, and Swank and Zorro,

Thanks for your messages about total knee replacement. For those of you that are recovering, I really hope that you all do well and the pain is not awful.
It's interesting about the bike riding that you have mentioned. My husband has all the bike gear and years ago started riding in a group where we live. Usually every Sat. morning they all meet up and go on their ride. I have always thought that this riding a bike would make his knee pain worse. Now, I can see from you all that it does seem to be very helpful. I finally "get" it as to why he loves to ride so much.

Thanks,
Meaningfulc1952

meaningfulc1952 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Hi 1wareaglefan,
Boy, that is a real coincidence!! I sure hope that your TKR surgery goes very well and that you will do well even with the fibro.

Good Luck,
meaningfulc1952

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.