Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Chronic back pain
amyw21 posted:
Hi, I'm Amy, 30 years old. I have been having chronic back pain since I was 13. When I was 12 on was on a dance team, and did a lot of backbends. I figured out after it was too late my back did not like being bent the wrong way. When I was 21 I had an xray done. and my lower back had curvature showing some vertebrae rubbing together. Now I'm 30, and in more pain than I'd definitely like to be in. I plan on calling my doctor tomorrow to see if I can get an appointment. Not sure what he'll want to do. I get numbness in my arms, and have back pain in the upper, middle and lower sections of my back. Not sure what can be done.

ctbeth responded:
Well you're going to the doctor tomorrow, so some of your questions will be answered then.

Good luck.

David Maine, MD responded:
Amy - Thank you for your post. You will require at the very least a focused physical exam with an emphasis on the musculoskeletal and neurologic systems. Thereafter, your doctor may require more advanced imaging to help guide further treatment. The first step as you pointed out is making that call to your doctor. Best of luck. I hope you get relief soon. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

cweinbl responded:
X-ray alone is not the most useful diagnostic option. Soft tissue, such as disc material or tumors can't be seen through an X-ray, although it did reveal your scoliosis. You really need an MRI or CAT-scan to show soft tissue. The most definitive option for diagnosis is a myelogram. Diagnosis precedes treatment. Whatever you do, stay away from a chiropractor. Without a proper diagnosis, chiropractic manipulation can make a bad situation much worse. Good luck!
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.