Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Chronic back pain
    amyw21 posted:
    Hi, I'm Amy, 30 years old. I have been having chronic back pain since I was 13. When I was 12 on was on a dance team, and did a lot of backbends. I figured out after it was too late my back did not like being bent the wrong way. When I was 21 I had an xray done. and my lower back had curvature showing some vertebrae rubbing together. Now I'm 30, and in more pain than I'd definitely like to be in. I plan on calling my doctor tomorrow to see if I can get an appointment. Not sure what he'll want to do. I get numbness in my arms, and have back pain in the upper, middle and lower sections of my back. Not sure what can be done.
    ctbeth responded:
    Well you're going to the doctor tomorrow, so some of your questions will be answered then.

    Good luck.
    David Maine, MD responded:
    Amy - Thank you for your post. You will require at the very least a focused physical exam with an emphasis on the musculoskeletal and neurologic systems. Thereafter, your doctor may require more advanced imaging to help guide further treatment. The first step as you pointed out is making that call to your doctor. Best of luck. I hope you get relief soon. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
    cweinbl responded:
    X-ray alone is not the most useful diagnostic option. Soft tissue, such as disc material or tumors can't be seen through an X-ray, although it did reveal your scoliosis. You really need an MRI or CAT-scan to show soft tissue. The most definitive option for diagnosis is a myelogram. Diagnosis precedes treatment. Whatever you do, stay away from a chiropractor. Without a proper diagnosis, chiropractic manipulation can make a bad situation much worse. Good luck!

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.