Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Herniated Disks For Two Years.
momico posted:
Does anyone on here know what is the miximum time it would take for a herniated disk to heal?

I have a couple of herniated disks that have been causing me pain for two years. I do not want surgery which was suggested by three doctors.

I have spinal stenosis and osteoporsis also. But my main concern and hope is that the disks will heal in time.

Hope someone has some answers. Thanks

davedsel57 responded:
Here is a link to the Herniated Disc Center on WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/herniated-disc-directory

I have a total of 8 herniated discs in my spine. I was told that it may take over a year for a herniated disc to heal. Some never do. The above link should give you some further information.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

momico replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks Dave I will check it out. I am petrified of surgery so I am desperate for some solutions.

David Maine, MD responded:
The resorption time of an acute herniated disk is generally 90-180 days. The natural history of an acute single herniated disk (HNP) has been studied and this is the general consensus. I hope that helps. Best of luck!

cweinbl responded:

Technically, a herniated disc does not heal. Think of it as a thick balloon filled with water. When a disc becomes herniated, some or all of that water escapes through a crack or hole. But it can't fill up again. Once a disc has become torn, it does not "heal." The opening does not close and your body will not produce the same cushion again. At that point, bone can impinge a nerve root.

That being said, there are some exercises that spread the vertebra apart. Sometimes the pain will dissipate over time. If it does not, a comprehensive pain clinic can offer dozens of non-invasive and minimally invasive techniques, such as acupuncture, physical therapy, kinesiotherapy, injections of steroid and anesthetic, biofeedback, etc. If all of those fail to help, you can ask about a spinal cord stimulator or the intrathecal pump. If all of those options fail and you're still in severe pain, surgery could be an option. If you are a candidate, microdiscectomy, using a two-inch incision, could offer the least amount of pain and the fastest recovery. If you're interested in such things, here is the most comprehensive and recent research on all major types of spinal interventions: http://www.painphysicianjournal.com/2009/july/2009;12;699-802.pdf .
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

momico replied to cweinbl's response:
Thanks csw@ I appreciate your feedback and information that is helpful.

Have a good day!

momico

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.