Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Pain Management urine test
    meangranny posted:
    My husband goes to pain mangement for back pain he has been taking opana er 10mg twice daily and two opana 10mg for break through at work that's around 160 pills a month. He had his first drug test last month it came back negative he was told not to worry. Yesterday he had his second test it came back negative and they treated him like a criminal. We were shocked I know he takes them he couldn't work if he didn't take them. We went today to an independent lab and had a urine test, then we tried to get a blood test but was told that a doctor's slip. What test can be performed , how could this happen? I've seen other postings of people that have had the same problem but not how they sloved it. I'm not very good at posting and I hope some one is out there that has a answer. Thanks
    annette030 responded:
    Taking blood is considered an invasive procedure so they want a doctor's order to do it. Just ask your doctor to write one for you.

    Meanwhile talk to the lab that does the test and ask them what might cause it to come back negative when he takes the meds as ordered? Is it metabolized and broken down into something else that shows on the test?

    Talk to his doctor with him and ask what is going on, if the doctor is not worried, ignore the staff. But do tell the doctor that the staff has been treating him differently, if you feel they have.

    Take care, Annette
    David Maine, MD responded:
    Urine tetsing can either be done as a "dip" in the office or be sent out where a more accurate and quantitative test can be done call GCMS. In the office testing is qualitative (only detects prescence of drug and not absolute number of metabolite). Usually - the best method is a combination of both. The first step is to find out what kind of testing was done. If only in office - I would request the sample be sent out. If it was sent out then hopefully your doctor can speak to the outside toxicologist to verify results. I hope that helps. Good luck.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.