Skip to content
Is there a difference in degenerative & ruptured disks?
sabine48 posted:
Are these one and the same in diagnosis? If no, what is the difference? I am referrring to the C6 & 7 neck vertebrae and the diagnosis of ruptured disk recently given but am seeing more referals to explaining degenerative instead of ruptured disk. Thank you!

davedsel57 responded:
Hello again, Sabine.

The terms herniated disc or ruptured disc are used interchangeably for a disc that has a tear in the wall.

A degenerated disc and basically shrunk over time but is still intact. It is possible for a disc to degenerate to the point where they are virtually no longer there and the vertebrae are touching each other.

Those spine sites I gave you links to should help you understand the terms as well.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

sabine48 replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks Dave, I did find it on the Spine Universe link, sorry i asked before I had a chance to find it! I see it explains a herniated and ruptured disk as pretty much the same things and the degenerative disk as something different than what I believe we are looking at, at this point. Again, thanks!

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.