Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Arm/Hand Numbness while sleeping
An_244506 posted:
Sometimes while sleeping and I guess arms are bent at elbows I eexperience numbness in lower arm/hand and fingers, once I extend arm it goes away, this isn't normal or is it?

dfromspencer responded:
This could be normal falling asleep numbness? However; when i had carpal tunnel, i would experience those same things. If i were you, i would go see the Dr. about this. It could be something to do with your circulation? Better safe than sorry! Go see your Dr.! Dennis

davedsel57 responded:
No, it is not normal. Dennis is right, you need to see your doctor for evaluation and treatment. It is against the rules and impossible in any WebMD community to offer a diagnosis or any medical advice. The best we could do would be to guess, which is really no help. Make an appointment with your doctor asap.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

_swank_ responded:
Of course it's not normal. And it's probably not necessary to see a doctor either. Just change your sleeping position when it happens. That's what I do. If the numbness doesn't go away then it's time to see a doctor.

finn2 responded:
That was one of my early symptoms along the way, when my pain problems began 10 to 12 years ago. And over the years that got worse and other things developed. They finally found that I had cervical spine stenosis (spinal cord compression in my neck) that may be causing that and a lot of my other problems. Now in addition to arms, hands and fingers getting numb (going to sleep as we say) my legs do that when I lay on my side on my hip. I also get pain in my hip joints that makes me wake up, I HAVE to move to another position. Let me know if you go to the doc and they tell you what's causing your numbness, I'm tired of paying for tons of tests and nothing shows up except more bills (we have insurance but it doesn't cover 100%). I don't want any more tests, would like to reduce my medical debt and have some $ to enjoy life a bit. Opiods help me deal with the pain, I live with the numbness and lots of other crazy stuff they can't find a reason for. I think the cervical spine stenosis accounts for some of what I feel but not nearly all of it, have no idea what is wrong with me. Just turned 64, case you wondered

finn2 replied to dfromspencer's response:
I don't think it's normal, at least with me, I never had that all my life and then there it was. So it can't be normal.

marine60 replied to finn2's response:
I did see a chiropractor about sleeping on my head/neck wrong about a year ago, snap/crackled /popped me a few times and it went away, time to go back I guess. Will try and see what happens and advise,.

Thanks.

TDXSP08 replied to finn2's response:
Finn

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill with the OP's problem relating what you experienced to Her and the fact that she is sleeping on her arm and not doing so or sleeping on the other side for awhile will probably cure it, i think you probably worried her needlessly , click my avatar and see what my numbness turned into it will make your head spin but i do not need to bring that up to the OP because it doesn't relate.
Just my opinion

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

_swank_ replied to marine60's response:
Stay away from the chiropractor. You should never let one crack your neck. You'd be better off seeing a physical therapist who can help you with your sleeping position. When I was going through shoulder surgery my PT actually got some pillows and worked with me to find a comfortable position for me and my pillows. Or you can just change your position and the problem should go away without the expense of a chiropractor and the risk of doing real damage.

finn2 replied to TDXSP08's response:
Making a mountain out of a molehill? I have no idea how I'm doing that. In what way? I only told the truth.

davedsel57 replied to finn2's response:
It is usually best to start your own discussion if you have questions or are seeking support. Certainly, you can share your own experiences and that is encouraged here. The original poster's question was simple and was given simple answers - no, those symptoms are not normal so see your doctor asap. Elaborating too much is sometimes considered "hijacking a thread" in internet message board lingo.

Many times this happens in these discussions - they take many tangents with different twists and turns.

I cold be wrong, but I think that is what was meant by making a mountain out of a molehill.

Regardless of how a discussion evolves, I always pray that we all can find the answers and relief we need.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

finn2 replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks for explaining Dave, I've been reading in this site but never posting. But darn, that was one of my first symptoms, I wasn't that way all my life when I slept, it was the beginning of something for me and I tend to be descriptive. I don't know how I'd have said I experienced that and then not explain more. Didn't mean to go overboard or hijack anything. Others were suggesting she see a doc, I thought if she did and he diagnosed something, I wanted to know what they thought, other than that, I wasn't seeking support here actually or asking anyone else questions. I'll be more careful. I do hope though, if I ever ask a question, that everyone elaborates and shares as much as they can, as I want to know all I can, I don't want highlights.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.