Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Butrans Patch Advice Needed
An_239722 posted:
Hello, this is my second post. I have been living with chronic pain for about five years and my doctor has switched me on to the Butrans patch because I fear becoming addicted to full opiate antagonists. Anyways, I was wondering if there is any information on using the patch more effectively because right now it simply isn't working. ANY advice would be helpful. I don't believe it lasts for seven days as noted by Purdue. I am having serious problems sleeping and with the depression that comes with living with chronic pain.

Thanks.

Christopho responded:
I found no relief with the Butrans patch. Might want to ask your doctor for another option.

annette030 responded:
Talk to your doctor, perhaps he needs to adjust the dose for you, or switch you to a different medicine.

I would suggest cognitive behavioral therapy for depression that often goes along with chronic pain. It worked well for me.

You could also call the maker of the drug and ask them what they suggest? I got lots of info and help from drug companies.

Take care, Annette

David Maine, MD responded:
Unfortunately the Butrans patch is not for everyone. This is really a discussion you need to have with your doctor. The dosing may not be adequate or this may simply not be an effective medication for you and an alternative regimen may need to be put in place. Hang in there.

perceptionislife replied to David Maine, MD's response:
Hello, and thank you for your replies. I gave up on the post a couple of days after and I realize that I shouldn't have. The only pain medication I use is buprenorphine because I fear of opiate addiction and this is why I want to stay on this. Before I was on Suboxone and that was getting tiring due to the taste and everything that goes along with sublingual medications., I prefer a transdermal system as well. I have been on Bupe for several years without any problems but was more curious as to application sites, cleaning, shaving, helping the adhesive stay on etc... The patch works for my pain for a few days it is just that I am curious as to if anything could be done for it to last longer for pain.

Behavioral Cognitive Therapy, I will look into that because I have become fairly depressed. It pains me (pun intended) that I have to pay Purdue for my medication due to my anger towards them about their practices.... so I am hesitant on calling them but I will give it a go.

I have had this conversation with my doctor about the patch but I believe the dosing is adequate, as stated prior, I just believe it wears off quicker than the label says.

Thank you all for your replies, if anything else comes to mind let me I appreciate all your advice.

Thanks!

(Not sure why I made it anonymous)

Perceptiv

perceptionislife responded:
Sorry the reply was meant for everyone. I don't know how to navigate this website very well.

Off topic from what I had posted, what kinds of exercises, tips, foods; in general advice that would decrease pain but would not be done through medication. I want to exercise but I just don't feel like doing it, I also have absolutely no appetite.

Probably would help to give the kind of pain I have but I just don't know how much information I should give out on this website

Thanks everybody!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to perceptionislife's response:
You're doing just fine when it comes to posting, Perceptionislife. We were all new once and soon you'll be an old pro at it.

You may want to start a new discussion about your new topic re exercise, tips, foods, etc.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

annette030 replied to perceptionislife's response:
It is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. You don't necessarily need a doctor, but it helps. My therapist gave me a copy of a book about it when I moved away, and I used the book by itself. It cured my depression entirely.

The book was called "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns, MD. I read the whole book through. It is a good read whether you decide on using it or not, very interesting. I opted to choose the parts of his program that struck a chord with me. Naturally, it is better to do the whole program. He has all kinds of tools you can use to track your depression/feelings. There are also lots of other articles that were cited as references.

You can also opt to use it with antidepressant drugs. DO NOT taper off of any meds you are on without the advice and guidance of your doctor.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.