Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What Is Fibromyalgia?: Medscape Readers Weigh In
ctbeth posted:
"A number of clinician readers made it clear: If there's one thing that we know about fibromyalgia, it's that we don't know much about fibromyalgia..."

MEDSCAPE is a professional journal. The link I posted as from an article for RNs. If you click to read it, you'll see it says, "Medscape for Nurses". The name on top is mine; I cannot remove it unless I cut and paste the entire article, and this is against WebMD's rules, so please understand that I have no option. This is the first-of-four articles. You can continue and read the remainder directly from this article.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/737800_2

annette030 responded:
I read the article from front to back. I did have to sign in to Medscape to do so, I am a member already.

Although I have never had a negative comment from MDs or RNs about my FMS diagnosis, I have heard about this problem from others. I have also met some "FMS patients" who have never even seen a doctor regarding this problem and do have many other health issues that might cause similar problems. They were in a support group that I never returned to...

I am content with the accuracy of my own diagnosis. I took care of patients with many other problems that did not have any lab proof of their cause or even their existence in some cases. Asthma was thought to be an emotional based illness many years ago. Ulcers as mentioned were also blamed on nerves rather than a bacteria as we know now. I do not blame FMS for causing everything that some folks blame on it.

I agree that some folks probably do not even have FMS, and others do. Someday we will know much more about the whole thing. Discussion is good for the art of medicine.

Take care, Annette

TDXSP08 replied to annette030's response:
Well lets put the Cancer's the over 40 Muscular Dystrophy's the SCI patients and MS patients moved to the head of the line in funding these are people who's clocks are running out, it has been shown in numerous studies that high dose anti depressant and naltrexone with a course of physical therapy can stabilize a lot of people claiming FMS so lets do this and get beck to medicine that leads to surgery all kinds of maiming and disfigurement and people carrying such heavy burdens by themselves and faith has no role in it at all-as a matter of fact i am going to put up a poll just to see if everyone on the net from across the country and across the globe as we have people from europe that come here and i will let it stay up till next sunday and then i will reveal why this name rvryonr should know,
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

ctbeth replied to annette030's response:
I thought the four-part article was very informative and presented different views.

Here is another one that came to my inbox a few hours ago:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/755212

Annette, you may have already seen it. It is dated 9 Dec 2011, so quite recent and hopeful bits if datum.

ctbeth replied to TDXSP08's response:
Andre', please email me your phone number on my real email, ok? I've lost it.

I'll try to phone tomorrow, but lots still going on with family stuff.

XO

CTB

annette030 replied to TDXSP08's response:
I am sorry but I have FMS, and anti-depressants were of no help to me at all, the side effects were not tolerable either, I do not even remember most of 3-4 months of my life due to these drugs.

I agree that exercise does help almost everyone feel better, but not PT, you have to find something that you love doing or you probably won't continue doing it.

I have not tried the naltrexone treatment, I read the research on it when it first came out. It was not worth stopping my current meds to try it. I could not take it with them due to interactions.

Since we have limited funds for research, I would vote for the money to be used to fund more serious ailments than FMS for now.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi, Beth

I read this and noted the study only included 9 women, and four visits to the doctors involved in the study.

I certainly agree with the premise that exercise is good for memory and can decrease pain in some folks.

My personal experiences is that I can exercise for 60 minutes daily, any more than that horribly increases my pain, no matter how slowly I increase the time. I have just accepted that for now.

I have read many studies that showed that exercise and just using your brain to learn new things was good for increasing cognitive function as one aged.

You are correct lots of good and interesting bits in this article, but I think lots more study might help.

Thanks for the heads up on these articles.

Hugs, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.