Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    SusanSC posted:
    No long story, I am a 24 yr sufferer from chronic kidney disease (stones) I pass anywhere from 3 to 8 monthly. My specialists say I am non-curable, that it is a birth defect. Secondly, since I am now 52 yrs. old, you can imagine the nerve damage caused. Thirdly, I had massive heart attack last July and double by-pass surgery which has damaged a main nerve in my chest area during the healing of my breast plate...(whew) high blood pressure, anxiety attacks, congestive heart failure and hopefully, I pray to God, lastly, I was admitted last week hemmoraging - lost 4 pints of blood, received a transfusion, my esophogus and upper intestine has bleeding ulcers so bad it almost killed me. WELL, anyhow...I have moved back from VA where I was being treated at UVA Pain Mgmt for the past 5 yrs. back home to SC (northeastern end). I need to locate a pain management center or clinic (preferably since I have no income and my employer let me go due to health reasons). I am finding they don't list themselves as PMC's. Can anyone lend me some advice? When I left SC to go to VA I had not joined a PMC yet, although my urologist did mention it. Obivously, I have no money to see a specialist and do need to get back into treatment. You can imagine the pain, or not - they say a kidney stone is more painful than being shot, that could have been enough, right?! lol...God Bless. A really quick response would be wonderful.
    annette030 responded:
    I would do a computer search of free or low cost clinics in your area. Often once you get into their system, they can find a specialist who is willing to see you either free or cheap. I found one in Florida for a friend of mine, and I am in Oregon.

    Take care, Annette
    dfromspencer responded:
    SusanSC, OMG, you certainly do have some issues! Sorry about that! I too have severe nerve damage, so i know that kind of pain.

    Lets see? First, try calling your local hospital. They should be able to steer you in the right direction? Then you need to get on the phone to social security, and get signed up for s.s.i.!

    If the hospital doesn't help, try a google search with (pmg) in it. I dont know what that might bring up? You may have to spell it out? But at least try.

    I just thought of something else, get in touch with the dept. of human services also. You can sign up for food stamps, and any medicade services also. Good luck to you!

    dfromspencer replied to dfromspencer's response:
    P.S. Susan, i hope you know i meant a P.M.C. in the parenthesis? Sorry. Good luck!

    SusanSC replied to annette030's response:
    Thank Annette, in the morning I will call the health clinic in MB. You are a good friend to do that for someone. God Bless. -Susan-
    TDXSP08 responded:
    Susan if you click my avatar in "My Story" is my E mail send me a message and i will send you a link to speed up finding a good PMC anywhere by state, county, town, zip code, area code, proximity to bus line, just about ant parameter you can think of to narrow down wear you want to find a PMC it will do it,and it is kept current i believe it is updated weekly.

    i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!
    annette030 replied to SusanSC's response:
    Also check with your county health department. Ours has a primary care clinic for people in certain situations, once you get in the clinic keeps you on the books as a patient until you tell them to drop you, or you stop showing up. Not all counties do this, in Calif, and NV where I lived previously, they didn't have this option at all.

    Good luck.

    Take care, Annette
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to TDXSP08's response:
    Hi TDXSP08,

    That sounds like a very helpful link and I hope you'll share it here for all.
    We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
    ~Joseph Campbell
    momico responded:
    Since you would be considered disabled and unable to work you mignt be able to get Medical help. Hopefully you can and maybe be able to see a doctor because Medical could help you with that..

    I wish you the best and hope their is a solution for you. Yes I have heard that kidney stones are very painful, I feel for you.

    annette030 replied to momico's response:
    Just to clarify...folks who are approved for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) claims are also approved for Medicare, but not until two years after your date of disability. God help you until then, the government doesn't, unless you are really poor and can get Medicaid. Even on just SSDI, it gives me too much income to get Medicaid. I do get Medicare now.

    Your SSDI check varies depending on how much money you made while you were working and paying into Social Security.

    Medicare is the health program for seniors and the disabled and you get it based on age and disability status per Social Security regulations.

    Medicaid is the state/federal health program for the very poor. That includes income and what you might already own.

    Take care, Annette
    TDXSP08 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
    can i really post a link to a non WebMD Website?? Caprice

    if you say its ok i'll gladly post it

    i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.