Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Chronic pain
redhotscorp61 posted:
I'm a 50 yr old female. I've got rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis plus a bulging disk in my low back. I'm in chronic pain. I've been to a pain clinic and it was a joke. They did absolutely nothing for me. They told me there's nothing they can do. My doctor refuses any pain medication. My rheumy did prescribe Tramadol but it hardly does anything for pain. Pain affects my everyday life. I'm not the same person I used to be. All I want is some relief so I can get out of bed in the morning and get around. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to it.

annette030 responded:
Try a different doctor, there are treatments for RA that may significantly reduce your pain from both that and FMS.

Did you go back to the rheumy and tell him that the tramadol isn't helping, and see what he says??

Take care, Annette

finn2 responded:
Find another pain management doctor. I've tried 2, they were like night and day. My primary doctor referred me. My pain began about 12 years ago, and each year it gets steadily worse. When I had minor surgeries, the opiod pain medications they gave me helped my regular so much. Compared to my every day pain the surgery pain was nothing, but on the opiods I was able to do so much in my life that I'd stopped doing or dreaded doing. I no longer gardened, walked my dog, dreaded walking, hated grocery shopping, the stores are so big, I didn't go anywhere that required walking, not even the county fair. Kneeling, bending to do housework, steps, and especially waking up in the morning was so painful and difficult, I was a miserable person. The first pain doc tried many medications for fibromyalgia which did not diminsih the pain and had terrible side effects, lethargy, goofiness (not being to think or talk) falling asleep every time I sat, anger and grouchiness. I told her about her about the opiods and she would just say "I'm not giving you narcotics" and made me feel like she thought I was a druggie. I left one day in tears and never went back. A year later my primary told me to go this doc she knew further away and I dreaded it but went, I wanted relief so badly. I've always been honest and up front but dreaded being made to feel like a druggie again, even so I told my story truthfully and the bad experiences I'd had. I left that first appointment with opiiod pain med prescriptions and an appointment to see a doc about my neck and back pain, who sent me for MRI's and other tests. Turns out I have cervical spine stenosis, also lower back and this is causing pain all over my body. Someday I may need surgery but with no guarantee to stop the pain of course. Meanwhile he and the pain med doc have given me quality life back. I am gardening again big time. I enjoy shopping, fixing up the house, DOING things, I still have lots of pain but it isn't disabling and I don't feel like sitting around crying anymore. I'm happy again, living again. I can bend and kneel and do steps, with care, it all still hurts but is manageable now. My day is filled with projects that interest me. All because of finding the right doctors who are taking care of me. Don't give up, living with disabling pain isn't living as you know. Find a doctor that will help you manage your pain as best they can, and tells you are NOT a drug addict. It makes all the difference in the world.

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
I would suggest developing a two-part strategy in coming up with a plan. One side of this would involve working with a rheumatologist to optimize the treatment of your rheumatological and arthritic conditions. That could mean traditional and non-traditional approaches to dealing with auto-immune diseases.

The other part of your strategy would be on the pain management side, which is where you seem to feel treatments have been inadequate. First off, I suggest you think in terms of developing a comprehensive approach that isn't just limited to one thing, like medications. For example, research has shown that patients with arthritis who exercise have less pain:http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/exercises-can-ease-arthritis-pain.

Treating widespread chronic pain that involves multiple joints and muscles can be very challenging, and that is why I would advocate for working with doctors who can support you in finding comprehensive approaches that are right for you. In addition to talking to them about alternative medications, you can seek out treatments that can help you with movement and exercise, as well as working on some of the psychological aspects of pain that affect things like mood, sleep, and relationships. This might mean pursuing traditional treatments like physical therapy, but also perhaps more alternative options like acupuncture, Pilates, or meditation, as examples. Even nutrition and weight-management can play a role in lowering inflammation and easing pressure on painful joints and discs.

The more tools that you have to better treat your pain, then the better you will feel in the long-run.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.