Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Chronic Costochondritis (probable)
aradicalmind posted:
My doctor told me I had swelling in my chest. I looked it up and I found it was called Costochondritis.

I guess my first question is, can this condition be chronic? I have had it for over a year now. It hurts most when I sneeze, cough, breathe too deeply or stretch.

My second question would be how can I get control of it without having to take anti-inflammatory?

David Maine, MD responded:
Costochondritis (costo-sternal pain) is diagnosed purely based on exam and the ability to reproduce pain on palpation of tender areas. The natural history if poorly understood. The treatment normally consist of stretching exercises (physician directed), heat (applied a few times a day), and anti-inflammatories /Tylenol (anti-inflammatory creams can also be helpful). This does normally resolve over time but again the history is very poorly documented in the literature. A variety of rheumatologic conditions can be associated with this and an evaluation from that standpoint is sometimes warranted. You should discuss this with your doctor. Good luck

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
46 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.