Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Demerol
REDDOGG43 posted:
Hi all hope everone is doing well. I just recently started comming here again and I have a question. I have ben on varitey of differenr pain meds like all of you here. Last month my Dr changed me from oxyIR to demerol because of tolorence. Here the last fewdays mainly when sleeping I have been haveing like musle spaams where my body will actualy jerk. My wife said I am doing it the whole ti me I sleeping. I h\ave ben told demerol is not good for long term treatment. Is this one of the effect that makes demerol bad to take long term?

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
Hello and welcome! One of the main concerns with using Demerol is that it can potentially cause seizures. It is broken down into a metabolite called normeperidine which can cause seizures if too much accumulates in the bloodstream. This can occur after repeated dosing with Demerol or in cases of renal insufficiency.

If you are taking Demerol on a repetitive basis then you may be at risk. The twitching that you describe could be a sign of myoclonus due to the effects of normeperidine on the central nervous system and potentially a warning that things could progress to a seizure. I recommend that you make your doctor aware of this immediately.

ljude38 responded:
Are you aware of your pain level presently without the use of opiate medication? It sounds like your body became dependant of the oxy to the point a VERY strong opiate painkiller was needed. Something to speak with your physican about.

REDDOGG43 replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
thank you 2 for your coments. I will be making an appointment this week. see if he will up dosage of oxy and drop demero

REDDOGG43 replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
should I stop the demerol and just suffer thruogh the pain till i get the appontment next wed. it is friday now. Do they make oxycodone in higher dosage than 10 mmgs with no annicet.

annette030 replied to REDDOGG43's response:
Please talk to your doctor about this right away. I would consider it urgent.

I take oxycodone 15-20 mg. as needed, as a BT pain med. I get 5 mg. pills and need to take three or four of them at a time. This is all that is available in my area at this time. There is no acetaminophen in the pills at all.

Take care, Annette

REDDOGG43 replied to annette030's response:
I did go to Dr on sat and he put me on roxi 15mgs thy work wonders. He told me if another migraine comes within the next month going to hve to work through it after then he will feel comfrontable with giving me the demerol shot again but no more than 2 a month...Thanks to all who has gave me info on this....RED

annette030 replied to REDDOGG43's response:
The problems with Demerol seem to be unrelated to how often one takes it. There are so many other meds available, I don't use it at all any more.

I have a long history of migraines, and opiates are not indicated as a first line therapy. They can cause rebound headaches, that scares me more than the migraines do, lol.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.