Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Desperately seeking pain management help
catzzzz posted:
I am a 42 year old female who has been diagnosed with neuoropathy, peripheral neuorpathy, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. I spent a 1 year in a nursing home because I lost the use of my legs and other issues. I was wheelchair bond during 6 months of that time. I am always in pain, especially in my legs. I have taken everything........ percocet, vicodin, Oxycontin, oxycodone, morphine sulfate, opana and more. The only thing that has ever really taken all the pain away was IV morphine while hospitalized. I am taking oxycodone now and has minimal effect on my pain. But, it is what works the best. My pain management doctor wants to change me again but I am afraid that it will not work. Then, I have to wait another 30 days to change back. So, I am always afraid to try something new. Anyone, anyone have suggestions.

TDXSP08 responded:
The reason most of those drugs did not relieve your pain is because the type of pain you have generally responds better to Anti depressants and Anti convulsants rather than Opiate pain medications , once get started on a course of those that work with your particular body you will start to feel better.

Please consult a qualified Physician as soon as possible for a correct diagnosis and therapeutic trial of medications that may help you.

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

David Maine, MD responded:
I am sorry to hear you are struggling. the treatment of neuropathic pain is very challenging. Opioids are generally a last line treatment as side effects often will outweigh clinical benefit. Neuromodulators (anti-convulsants, anti-depressants) are often utilized first. Have you ever sought any non pharmacologic treatments? You may be a candidate for spinal cord stimulation or other alternative treatment. I would discuss with your provider. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Fibromyalgia Pain
I had a lot of pain in my lower back. The doctor diagnosed it as Fibromyalgia. He prescribed lyrica which works really well. I still have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.