Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Frieberg's Disease
    Jamaicagirl12 posted:
    I was recently diagnosed with Frieberg's Desease (Metatarsal Avascular Necrosis of the 2nd Metatarsal bone in right foot). This is the most painful thing I have ever been through and after 4 months I am just beginning to be able to walk a bit with the aid of an air cast. I am told this will be a problem I will contend with for the rest of my life and I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has this disease and if you have any tips for me. I am also trying to find a good brand of shoe that is specifically designed to take the pressure off of the ball of the foot. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated!
    David Maine, MD responded:
    Thank you for your post. I would suggest discussing these issues with a foot and ankle specialist. They will likely be able to assist you with the shoe modifications and spectrum of treatment for this. The treatment normally consist of proper foot wear w/ a metatarsal bar or pad placed beneath the involved bone and limiting activity for several weeks. In severe cases consideration for immobilizing the foot can be made as well. There may be a role for surgery if conservative treatment fails but again this is a discussion you should have with the orthopedic specialist. I hope that helps. Good luck.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.