Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
cant sleep through the pain
patientslikeme posted:
Hi,
I've had Fibro. for many years now along with diabetes and many
other health issues like arthritis almost everywhere and I get awful pain in my feet and toes, its so painful that it will keep me awake. I have to take vicoden for the pain when its real bad which is happening very frequent now, but having to take more than prescribed. I don't want to do this and even when i do it does not help much, i am on cymbalta as i cannot take lyrica... any suggestions??

annette030 responded:
Talk to your doctor. There are many options as far as pain treatment goes.

Also try and keep your blood sugar under very good control as that helps control the pain in your feet and toes. Talk to the doc that manages your diabetes about that.

Take care, Annette

jpinmiss responded:
we all go thru this issue with meds.
you don't want to be addicted.
take your meds as directed even when pain lightens up.
I do this to try and stay ahead of the pain curve. When you get bbehind it is hard to get in balance again.
We become dependent on our drugs, not addicted.
Been at this game since 2002 along with back fusion L3-S1, and DDD in other areas. Try getting some solsce in readin the bible.
jpinmiss

TDXSP08 responded:
You Should take note of the fact that your Pain Medication works better when taken before pain is at a critical stage.

Thats Pain Management 101.

It sounds like you need a refresher in that course, and since you can't take Lyrica and your on Cymbalta and Vicoden, Maybe you should talk to your Doctor About a trial on NuCynta it is an opiate with the approximate dosing strengths comparable with Vicoden but it also is Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor which is partially what Cybalta is. now there is no guaranty that your Doctor will try it but if S/He did so you could end up talking 1 pill for all your needs hopefully with success.

I am Not a Doctor I am a patient please seek a qualified M.D. for assistance with this matter.
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

annette030 replied to annette030's response:
Also talk to your doctor about diabetic neuropathy and the best way to treat it. Opiates are not always good for this.

Take care, Annette

MaryDeeGoettsche responded:
I don't know what to suggest to you. I, too, am having trouble sleeping because of the pain. I have fibro, RA, OA, and osteoporosis. Because of my allergies I'm unable to take any opioids, Tylenol, NSAIDS. My pain Dr. tried to put me on Forteo, but I had an bad reaction to that. I haven't started on methotrexate yet for my RA because I ended up having to have a tooth extracted and bone-grafting done since I had split the root of my tooth. That has to heal completely before I can begin the RA med. I am just now gradually starting on a fibro med, taking only half a dose at a time. Needless to say, I'm having a hard time not being discouraged.

annette030 replied to jpinmiss's response:
Opiates just do not work very well for peripheral neuropathy from diabetes.

Sorry, in my experience reading the Bible doesn't work either.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.