Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Chronic pain related to general health/ability to fight off colds, etc.?
Kathillia posted:
I damaged my ulnar nerve several years ago. The nerve pain was manageable for awhile, but then I needed to start taking Neurontin. I took that for several years.

Last November, I decided to stop taking the Neurontin, because I didn't like the other side effects. The pain in my elbow, down to my fingers, has been getting increasingly worse; to the point where I am considering the surgery.

My question relates to the cold/flu. I have been in bed, sick, several times since the beginning of the year.

I'm wondering if being in constant pain diminishes the body's ability to fight off general infections and if my constant "sick" would be diminished if I wasn't in so much constant pain.

Any thoughts? I've tried numerous Google searches and keep coming up empty, so my thought is there is no relationship. Intuitively, though, it seems possible.

TDXSP08 responded:
Surgery should always be the very very last desperate act to help manage pain other than the Medication Neurontin whys rlse has been done to try and manage your pain??
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

annette030 responded:
Why don't you just discuss this with your doctor?

I have had chronic pain for over 15 years now, and rarely get sick with colds/flu, etc. I personally believe that everyones immune system is a bit different.

Take care, Annette

David Maine, MD responded:
Thank you for your post. Excellent question - There is good evidence that the immune system plays an important role in chronic pain, but as you elude to, there is no data that it results in weakening of the immune system.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.