Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hi Annette !!
nodisc posted:
How are you? It's been quite some time since I posted, been reading the posts on the site here from time to time when I can do so. Well then, my first post back will be with something that I thought would never happen. I was taking Oxycontin for quite some time and switched to Opana, oh say a year and a half, two years ago. Due to the Opana shortage, had to change pharms. I used a pharm locator and they came up with two places, so went with one, they were very nice. But then, just last night, I noticed that one of my vials was emptying quickly and then it dawned on me, now I/m short on pills, roughly 14 or so pills. The wife called the pharm for me while I tried to look in the safe that I keep them in for them, maybe they came out or whatever, but no luck there. In the mean time the head pharmacist was doing a count, then the wife handed the phone over to me and then still upset spoke to him and he said everything checked out at his end. I didn't yell, was very civil about it and told him the label read 120. The other 2 strengths that I take counted fine just the 40mg. was short. He then said wait a minute, put me on hold again, and then came back to tell me that there was one other thing that he could do and that it would take some time and he would get back to me today. Now then, I'm preparing for the worst, but I have a backup, being I have some of the oxys left and that they will have to tide me over until refill time later in the week. I don't want to have to call my doc saying I'm short, the relationship with them has been pretty good. And besides, don't know if the ins. co. will allow for that. Hopefully, I don't think I have anything going on at this end, they're locked in the safe. Sorry for this being a long post, guess I'm still upset. How's the little one doing, my two are great. Glad somebody is!!!!!! Thaanks for reading, and later on, Mike

annette030 responded:
Hi, Mike

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I went through a similar situation years ago. I called the pharmacy and told the head pharmacist that my RX was short, and that my personal opinion was that he had a "problem" employee. I made it clear to him that I did not want the pills replaced, and that the phone call was simply a heads up for him. The second time it happened a couple of months later, I changed my RX to a different store, and called the head dude again, and told him the same thing. We had a long talk, the following week all the personnel at the pharmacy except one person changed. I never told my doctor. They were short-acting opiates and I did without. Fortunately, they were not the long-acting ones, those were okay.

My doctor is aware that I keep the short-acting opiates when I do not need them and use them if my pain acts up, but never more than she prescribes to begin with.

I do not know about exchanging different long-acting meds like you are suggesting, Opana and Oxycontin. Maybe now is the time to talk to your doctor, I don't know, it is up to you.

In future, you may request the pharmacist to count the pills in front of you when you pick them up. At the least I would count them as soon as you get home, before putting them in your safe. Then pick a day once a week to count them to make sure you are on the right track. I do this Saturday nights, when I fill my pill box.

Glad to hear your two little ones are doing fine. My littlest grandson is 6 now, he started kindergarten this year. My older grandson graduates from high school this year and is going into the Marines. He was just 12 when his mom married my son.They grow up so fast.

Breathe in and out slowly, things will be fine.

Good to see you.

Take care, Annette

nodisc replied to annette030's response:
Thanks Annette and as usual, thanks for getting back to me. I didn't have a problem before going from the Oxycontin to the Opana, they're pretty similar. I'm just glad that I have enough of them to last me until Friday when my next set of scrips are to be filled. And also, that's a good idea, I'll leave my doc out of this, but when I spoke to the head guy, he said there was one other thing that he could do and that he wouldn't get back to me until tomorrow (Tue), now I'm kinda hoping that this something else isn't like calling my doc behind my back and checking me out, it won't do him any good, like I posted, this is the first time in 10 or so years that this has happened, I do have a good rel. with my docs office, so let's nip this in the bud NOW !!!! Thanks Annette!

annette030 replied to nodisc's response:
I am sure it will all work out in the long run, but that doesn't make it much easier now.

Everyone needs to handle this in the way that makes them most comfortable. Especially, regarding their own doctor.

Sorry, I didn't respond sooner, I only get on line 2-3 times a week now.

Take care, Annette

TDXSP08 responded:
My Pain Med's come from a specialized pain pharmacy that is all they do and they ship them to me UPS so i never worry about refills or anything it happens the same day every month unless that day falls on a weekend and then i get them on Friday. and all 270 Oxcycodone tablets are individually blister packed on cards so when i need one i just pop it out and swallow it and being that each card has numbers on them i can see very easily that every pill i am supposed to have is there when i receive it and anytime i want to verify that nobody has gotten into them i just look at the cards and verify that no card other than the one i am using has and popped and that the last number i popped is still the last number. I actually feel kinda spoiled by my pharmacy no one giving me the drug addict evil eye or is this script real or worrying about carrying that stuff home(i live in a bad neighborhood and my pharmacy order would be worth a kings ransom on the street from what i have seen on TV). it is all taken care of seamlessly by this Pain Medication Only Pharmacy that like i say UPS's my Med's to me the same day every month you could set your watch by them.
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

annette030 replied to TDXSP08's response:
I do not carry the pharmacy bag out of Rite Aid, I put the pills in my purse or pocket. I have gotten other meds by mail order and really liked one company, Medco. A different one keeps screwing up the $$ owed and credit, etc. I won't use them once my RX runs out. The copay was more expensive than the store for schedule II meds, so I didn't use them for that.

I refuse to use UPS anymore or use any company that will only ship UPS. I reported a missing package and they as much as said I was a liar. My husband and I do a lot of shopping on line and got lots of UPS deliveries just dropped over our gate. I was told I would be treated differently for two years, but they then continued it. I get a note first saying the package was not delivered due to no one being at home to sign for it. We, of course, were at home. If I am lucky the following day they deliver the package when I leave a note on the door demanding that they knock, and wait a minute or two, for us to answer the door. I would literally open the door and see the truck pulling away after hurrying to answer the door. I have not used them at all for two years now and do not miss them at all. I am glad it has worked out for you.

Take care, Annette

TDXSP08 replied to annette030's response:
Its funny you say that that is how i'm treated by FedEx and will not do business with anybody who will only ship FedEx because they leave my stuff on the sidewalk not even the porch don't knock or ring the doorbell so everything gets stolen and the seller then has to get their money back from FedEx before they ship me a new item to replace the one that i would have had if FedEx had of just wrung the bell .
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

annette030 replied to TDXSP08's response:
I guess there is a place for the US Postal Service, that is who I generally use.

I haven't had a problem with FedEx, but I have not dealt with them either, lol.

We enjoyed dealing with UPS until our package went missing, never again.

I believe it is the drivers usually that make the company, they are the ones that deal with the consumers.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.