RA in hands, please help me :(
Freak316 posted:
I am 36, disabled because of numerous back injuries,lung disease, and now RA in my hands.(Had 3 carpal tunnel surgeries over the years) There are days I cannot even brush my hair, hold a cup, they inflame so much, turn red, become stiff and extremely painful. I am rendered useless not being able to do anything for myself. My DR says the RA factor count isn't high enough to take it serious. I have spent the past week in tears for hours upon days feeling hopeless and praying that something can help this pain subside. I am on a narcotic pain killer that does not help, and cannot take motrin because of a stomach ulcer, is there anything at home I can do to help ease the pain and allow me use of my hands? It has limited my quality of life, and I'm at the point where I want to just give up,, nobody understands, nobody can help me...maybe somebody here can help me? Please...I feel so alone.....

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

You are definitely not alone and I'm glad you found us.

While you're waiting for responses here, try also posting on our Rheumatoid Arthritis Community .
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

Cherulka responded:
Dear Freak316, you are NOT a freak, please don't think that of yourself. I don't have a home remedy for you, but you are not alone. I understand, as I have RA in my hands, not as severe as yours, but I've been crying about that and all my other pain (arthritis everywhere, back problems, too, fractured pelvis, bad knee). When I read your post I cried with you. I'm much older than you (61), I feel that my life has come to a standstill in the past few months because of the pain, and I'm looking for some relief, too. I've been getting a monthly infusion of Orencia since last Nov., & it doesn't seem to be helping. I have never heard of an RA factor count, & will ask my Dr. about it. She just says the inflammation isn't that bad, but my fingers HURT! I hope you have family & friends to help you, because I have no one, and my apartment is becoming messier every day. Sorry I couldn't give you any remedies - just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, and that your post really touched me. I hope you get some help soon.

painattack responded:
Hello, I too have ra and sometimes hurt alot. God does not want you to hurt. pray and visualise that god and you yourself are actually sending angels of comfort to the areas that hurt.you are not alone. try to move around alittle. let the lord and ask for a healing and for any angels available to help you.YOU ARE WORTH IT.

zinndlphn responded:
I know how you are feeling. I am 43 and have had RA since i was 13. I worked as hard as I could for a long as I could and just recently went on disability. Don't give up....there are times i am in such pain i cry myself to sleep. If you haven't already please see a rheumatologist. I got the run around for several years because I have a negative rheumatoid factor. I always have. But the new anti ccp test my numbers are through the roof......after years of going to doctors thinking i was just a kid who did'nt want to go to school. I find that HEAT is the best thing when i am flaring. I have several microwaveable heating pads and find they help tremendously. Take care.....you are in my thoughts.