Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Microdiscectomy - recovery question
    bertia posted:
    I had surgery about 3 weeks ago, the pain from the buttocks and down the leg is 100% better, the problem I am having now is the numbness in my right calf and foot, with a throbbing pain in the foot. Yesterday I went f or my followup visit and was given neurotin for the pain. I noticed that most people that posted their surgery results didn't say anything about the numbness and pain in the foot or calf. If there is anyone out there that has experience this please post your results.
    annette030 responded:
    Have you discussed this with your own surgeon? What did he tell you?

    I hope the neurontin helps, I have taken it for many years with excellent results.

    Take care, Annette
    bertia replied to annette030's response:
    Yes I did discuss with him, usually take 2-3 months to find relief from nerve damage. Thanks Annette
    annette030 replied to bertia's response:
    I have had several surgeries, and had some nerve damage from each with accompanying numbness. I have always given my body at least a year to recover from any surgery.

    It is great that it only takes 2-3 months with newer techniques.

    Take care, Annette
    David Maine, MD responded:
    Did you have this "numbness/throbbing" before surgery? If so, this can take time to resolve. If not then close follow-up is warranted and sometimes repeat imaging is neccesary pending on the clinical course. I would follow-up as planned with your doctor. Hopefully the Gabapentin will provide you some meaningfull relief. Good luck.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    neck/skull pain
    I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.