Skip to content
Feet Tickle at Night
Kevin37KY posted:
I have not been able to find someone that can lead me in the right direction on this. The bottom of my feet tickle at night and it keeps me awake for hours at time. I have even tried hitting the bottom of my feet with a hangar and even scalding them to make the sensation stop because it makes me absolutely crazy. Nothing works. My circulation is good. I have not been diagnosed with any nerve diseases. I have some bulging disks in my lower back but none that press on a nerve or have caused me much trouble. I am 37 and have been having this problem since I was in high school at least. Someone once suggested that it was sleep aptnea and I have since cured that by having my tonsils, adenoids, uvula and parts of my soft pallet removed. Snoring and aptnea are no longer an issue. Any advice?

freedom1960 responded:
This is very strange, if you don't mind me saying so. LOL What does your doctor say? Could it be related to RLS? I want to see other replies because I'm stumped. Let's see what others have to say.

Rick

Kevin37KY responded:
Thanks. The doctors I have talked to have no idea. They check circulation and that is fine. I have thought it might be restless leg syndrome but there is no pain involved and it is only the bottom of my feet. Just the strange tickling sensation or like the bottom of my feet only are exposed to an air conditioning vent. I put it on the pain board because I was not sure where else it might fit. It is maddening like chronic pain.

Rachel_Corey responded:
Hmmm...have you ever mentioned this to your doctor? How do you know that your circulation is good? I'm only asking because that's the first thing I thought of when I read your post. I would start by doing some research online: find out what causes skin to tickle, and maybe also do a search on why feet/limbs fall asleep. Are you getting a tingling sensation, as if it is semi-asleep?

I can't imagine this is being caused by your back, but you never know. Back problems can definitely cause feet and legs to go numb. Have you ever had tests done, such as an MRI? I would think you have if you have back problems.

Anyways, good luck, and let us know what you find out!

Rachel

Taunee responded:
This exact same thing has happened to me since I was in my teens. I am 39 now. It has, in the past, happened about once every 1-3 months. My feet would start tickling terribly so I would have to stomp them into the carpet. The palms of my hands get the same feeling. So I find myself rubbing and slapping my hands together also.

After a few hours, anywhere from 4-8 hours it goes away.

It is not painful. It is as if someone is tickling the bottom of my feet and palms of my hands. Just as annoying as can be and I can?t sleep or concentrate on anything. Mostly it happens at night, but it has happened in the day.

I am one of those people who can sleep for 8-12 hours straight, and when I get less than 8 hours sleep, I am falling asleep during the day.

Well the last year it has been happening more often. I recently moved from California to NY, and ever since I have been in NY it seems to happen every 3-4 weeks, a lot more often.

I have had a minor pain in my lower back for about the last ten years, and about 4 years ago I was prescribed Tramadol for it.

A few months ago, one night when my feet and hands started doing it, my back was hurting also, so I took Tramadol. My feet and hands stopped the annoying tickling.

So the next time it happened, (my back didn?t hurt), I tried taking the Tramadol, and it worked.

I have asked Doctors about it in the past and basically got no answers. And because it happened so seldom, I never bothered to look into it. I just recently decided to see if I could find any information online. This is the first I have seen so far.

At least I have something that makes it stop. But I would like to know what causes it and why it?s happening more often.

bluejester responded:
hi there, i am a psychiatrist, and have some experience with sleep disorders.

off the top of my head, this could be several things. my first thought was a variant of RLS, but that usually causes a sensation of needing to walk, and get out of bed, or rub the feet, etc. my second thought was rhythmic movements of sleep; but that doesn't fit entirely either. you may want to search the latter, however.

what does fit, is neuropathic pain. have you had your B12 and folate checked recently? you may have a vitamin B deficiency, which can cause numbness, tingling in the extremities, which may even become a burning sensation if it goes long enough, and would be more noticeable at night.

would start on a B complex multivitamin, making sure it has plenty of B12 and folate, but even with this, you might still have a deficiency if your body has problems absorbing B12. i would get your B12 and folate checked by your doctor in the near future.

also, get a CBC. sometimes anemia can cause these sensations in the hands or feet.

hope this helps.

fleet responded:
I'm 69. My bottoms of my feet have tickled for years. Doctors have no clue. I "am" diabetic; but there's no pain! I've tried stamping on the floor, walking barefoot, even the tea tree tea concoctions. Nothing seems to help. Right now it's 3am, and I can't sleep in spite of having taken a sleeping pill. Soaking the feet in hot/cold water provides only temporary relief.

Nice to know it happens to other people.

- fleet -

faye417 responded:
My feet have started tickling at night also. It feels like a worm is crawling around in it. This just started about a month ago and when it happens, it drives me nuts. It wakes me up out of a sound sleep. I finally discovered something that would relieve it, i.e., 2 Advils. Has anyone ever tried this for relief?

marandakay responded:
Since I was a teen my feet would occasionally tickle...badly. It usually happened when I was extremely tired and lethargic. The first time was after a long day at the fair and the vibrations of the car ride home was like torture. I wanted to cry. Whenever I'm extra sleepy my feet tickle so if I take a sleeping pill it's asking for trouble! I have also tried stomping on the floor and pacing and pretty much trying to do physical harm to my feet to stop it. I usually end up in bed cycling my legs like I'm on a bike peddling like a maniac. Although it's one of the worst feelings in the world to me it doesn't happen a whole lot so I forget to ask my doctor about it.

tonyf319 responded:
Not sure if you read my post to Kevin but here is what I told him.

I have had the same thing for years as well. I find it's more pronounced when I'm not active, over tired , stress or in the winter when not much sun is out. Not sure which one is the cause. Up until the last two or three weeks I've been active at the gym for about 30 minutes 3 - 4 times a week. I quit because I was busy at work. One of these helps. Physical activity 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, a hamstring stretch ( touching toes with fingertips to stretch the calf muscle.), or possibly the physical activity makes me sleep better. I'm not sure which one is the solution because they are all related in my workout. Generally I would run/walk, bike, stepper, or even strength training for about a half an hour 3 - 4 times a week. I tend to think it's the hamstring because I'm in my mid 40s had always been moderately active. In my 30s I got busy raising kids and working..... not as active.... more stress. The feet tickling started. I would lie in bed and rub the sole of my foot on the top of the other foot for relief. It took about an hour, but I finally feel asleep. Woke my wife up though.

tonyf319 responded:
I have had the same thing for years as well. I find it's more pronounced when I'm not active, over tired , stress or in the winter when not much sun is out. Not sure which one is the cause. Up until the last two or three weeks I've been active at the gym for about 30 minutes 3 - 4 times a week. I quit because I was busy at work.

One of these helps. Physical activity 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, a hamstring stretch ( touching toes with fingertips to stretch the calf muscle.), or possibly the physical activity makes me sleep better. I'm not sure which one is the solution because they are all related in my workout. Generally I would run/walk, bike, stepper, or even strength training for about a half an hour 3 - 4 times a week. I tend to think it's the hamstring because I'm in my mid 40s had always been moderately active. In my 30s I got busy raising kids and working..... not as active.... more stress. The feet tickling started. I would lie in bed and rub the sole of my foot on the top of the other foot for relief. It took about an hour, but I finally feel asleep. Woke my wife up though.

tonyf319 responded:
I sent a reply to Kevin. I'm not sure if this is a solution, but it's helped me.

I have had the same thing for years as well. I find it's more pronounced when I'm not active, over tired , stress or in the winter when not much sun is out. Not sure which one is the cause. Up until the last two or three weeks I've been active at the gym for about 30 minutes 3 - 4 times a week. I quit because I was busy at work. One of these helps. Physical activity 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, a hamstring stretch ( touching toes with fingertips to stretch the calf muscle.), or possibly the physical activity makes me sleep better. I'm not sure which one is the solution because they are all related in my workout. Generally I would run/walk, bike, stepper, or even strength training for about a half an hour 3 - 4 times a week. I tend to think it's the hamstring because I'm in my mid 40s had always been moderately active. In my 30s I got busy raising kids and working..... not as active.... more stress. The feet tickling started. I would lie in bed and rub the sole of my foot on the top of the other foot for relief. It took about an hour, but I finally feel asleep. Woke my wife up though.

tonyf319 responded:
I know how annoying this is. Here is my reply to Kevin. Good luck. I have had the same thing for years as well. I find it's more pronounced when I'm not active, over tired , stress or in the winter when not much sun is out. Not sure which one is the cause. Up until the last two or three weeks I've been active at the gym for about 30 minutes 3 - 4 times a week. I quit because I was busy at work. One of these helps. Physical activity 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, a hamstring stretch ( touching toes with fingertips to stretch the calf muscle.), or possibly the physical activity makes me sleep better. I'm not sure which one is the solution because they are all related in my workout. Generally I would run/walk, bike, stepper, or even strength training for about a half an hour 3 - 4 times a week. I tend to think it's the hamstring because I'm in my mid 40s had always been moderately active. In my 30s I got busy raising kids and working..... not as active.... more stress. The feet tickling started. I would lie in bed and rub the sole of my foot on the top of the other foot for relief. It took about an hour, but I finally feel asleep. Woke my wife up though.

Hurlba replied to tonyf319's response:
Same symptoms here. Had blood work done to rule out anemia & diabetes, EMG of foot, leg, lower back, xray of lower back, MRI of lower back, all normal. Went on Neurontin to try calming nerves down, all it did was knock me out. Back for more bloodwork to look at B12, and considering a Chiro to try that angle. Very frustrating, just turned 40 and can't shake this tickling and tingling sensation. Used to run, don't any more due to joints, that's the only thing I've been able to correlate to. Any other ideas I'm missing I'd welcome the input!!!!! Up at 2am writing this because, you guessed it, left foot is tickling once again. GRRRRRRRRRR.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.