Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lower Back Pain With Easy Hip Displacement
scchha12 posted:
Hi, I'm not sure if this is where I'm suppose to go with my question or not but if someone could please help. I put my hip out of place about 2 to 2 1/2 months ago. I've been going through physical therapy for about a month now, I go about 3 days a week. I am usually a very active person but I can't be now, the pain gets so bad, even trying to walk through the grocery store or mall I can't make it without having to sit down for a few minutes quite a bit. My physical therapist said I keep putting my hip out. The pain did go down the front and back of my leg just to the top of my knee. That's gone but my pain is now localized to the lower part of my back on the left side. When walking the pain kind of stops me in my tracks, that's when I have to sit down. I've tried every medication possible and nothing will stop the pain. The physical therapist said it would take at least 12 weeks to work it out. Can anyone help me because I feel horrible I'm not able to exercise or walk like I'm used to. Anyone else have this, if so what did you do? I feel so out of shape. Please Help.

annette030 responded:
Did your doctor do any xrays or other imaging studies to check out your hip?

What does your MD say?

Take care, Annette

_swank_ responded:
I agree with Annette. You need to be seeing your doctor for this, not your physical therapist. There's no way they can know that you are "putting your hip out", whatever that means. At any rate, I don't see anywhere in your post that mentions that you have seen a doctor for this issue.

annette030 replied to _swank_'s response:
I was going to say that you need a RX from a doctor to see a PT, but then I remembered that a gym I went to in Reno had PTs on staff and you only needed a referral or RX from your doctor if you expected your insurance to pay for it.

I assumed you were seeing a doctor, but please do see one if you are not.

Take care, Annette

scchha12 replied to annette030's response:
I did go to my doctor and she suggested to go to physical therapy and gave me a rx, sorry I didn't say that before. No xrays because I didn't fall or do anything that would cause this pain or injury. My physical therapist said that you can dislocate your hip by just stepping down the wrong way on a surface. The length of my legs are compared along with my knees being bent. I'm friends with a massotherapist that has also help to relieve the pain by massage. I'm trying different activities to try to get back into shape and hopefully help this situation but I seem to end up back where I started. I have a tendency to turn my left foot out so I'm trying to keep it right where it should be, I was told that would help but today it is causing my thigh muscle and hip to ache. I didn't realize how much I relied on that leg to turn out. I just wanted to know if anyone can help me, hope I made it more clearer.

annette030 replied to scchha12's response:
I am not sure what your PT means by dislocating your hip by stepping down on the foot incorrectly. I am a retired ER nurse and have taken care of many folks with dislocated hips, they can not even walk until after the doctor replaces the femoral head in the socket.

If you have had problems for 2.5 months then I think expecting relief from PT in one month might be pushing things a bit. I do agree with her saying that 12 weeks of therapy might be necessary.

Did your doctor give you any kind of time line for recovery? If you are not going along the road to recovery on a reasonable time line, maybe you should go back and see the MD again???

My husband's doctor did not do an xray of his hip the first time he complained of pain, he examined him by manipulating his joints, and seeing what his response was. The second time he did do an xray. I don't think your doctor was being unreasonable in his approach.

Take care, Annette

scchha12 replied to annette030's response:
Thank you for your response. I'm not having as much pain now, which is great but when I walk I get pains shooting down the front of both of my legs. Is this normal? I'm done with my ophysical therapy but I'm still doing my stretches at home to keep pushing forward. Now I'm just concerned with the leg pains. Did your husband have this? Or does anyone else know what could be causing this? Thanks.

annette030 replied to scchha12's response:
Please go see your doctor again and get a follow up evaluation. My husband had avascular necrosis which was diagnosed by xray on a follow up visit.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.