Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe Pain in shoulder
Sbugsyk posted:
Background: I was in a bicycle accident is 2008 where I hurt my shoulder. I was diagnosed first with a sprain and then with tendinitis. I went through 2 rounds of physical therapy and then had surgery (8/2010). The surgery remove a small piece of my collar bone, so nothing with the rotator cuff. Towards the end of my PT, I started to get stabbing (really bad) pains in my shoulder. I went back to the Ortho but he said he couldn't figure out what was causing the pain. He gave me a TENS unit and told me to use that when I got the pain. For a while that was ok.

Now I've been getting the pain more frequently and it lasts longer. The TENS works temporarily but 30 mins after I stop the pain returns. The pain originates somewhere around my AC joint but radiates down toward my elbow. When I get the pain, the slightest movement causes extreme pain (8-9/10). I've been trying to pinpoint what sets off the pain, but it seems to be a variety of things. I work with ropes courses so I climb a lot. Climbing seems to start the pain. It usually doesn't hurt while I climb, but once I stop and put my arm down the pain starts. I think most weight bearing done above my head starts the pain. Also leaning back on my arms while sitting also seems to start the pain.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

anowlin responded:
Has the Ortho done an MRI? There are things that jump to mind that an MRI could rule in/out. The pain in my shoulder was thought to be tendonities and treated with PT and TENS, It gradually got so painful that walking along gave me no pain, but once i stopped and sat down, it was the letting my arm drop that cause EXCRUTIATING pain, THey dug deeper and found that I had a torn tendon and other problems with my shoulder. Last December, I had a partial shoulder replacement and the pain is gone. There's recovery pain, but NOTHING like what I had. Have they said what you have that is the CAUSE of the pain?

Annie

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I agree that an MRI might discover additional causes of the pain.

I have a partial tear in my rotator cuff that was incorrectly diagnosed for years. Finally, an MRI showed the injury and PT helped. However, if I don't do my exercises, the pain returns.

Keeping a journal of the pain is a good idea and will give your doctor additional info to work with!

Haylen

lindak627 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have had severe shoulder pain-first they tried therapy and 1 injection, did an MRI and said I needed surgery. Once he got inside my rotator cuff had a slight tear in it that did not show on the MRI-after 6 months of pt, and another 6 months of healing, it is as good as new. The other shoulder, he had to remove most of the cartlidge. It is about 90% better but never will be normal again but said the only option was replacement and I would know by the pain level when I reached that point. But you definitely need an MRI to see what is really going on and also to try and see the extent of the injury/damage. You also need a good doctor that won't let it go on for too long without offerring help of some sort.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.