Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sciatic Nerve Damage
Regan12 posted:
I suffered sciatic nerve damage during a Depo shot administered in my hhip 6 yrs ago. I have gone through a round of physical therapists, a chiropractor, SI joint shots, and numerous pain meds. With the SI injections i received no relief.. in fact it made my condion worsen from being intermittent to constant. I have a doctor now trying to pressure me into a nerve block, followed by nerve ablation b/c she doesn't like the idea of me being permanently on painkillers. I have read numerous postings from others who have had this procedure done, but most comments are 3-4yrs old. I want to know what, if any, advances have been made. I also want to know if i should even bother w/ a procedure that won't offer me long term relief (more than 3 yrs) and that won't be given to me after so many have been done. I have a bad track record w/ needles in that area and i am terrified that this nerve ablation will make an already bad situation worse. Please help me make the right decision!

cweinbl responded:
I have had all of the injections named above. They all failed. Worse yet., the rhyzotomy (nerve root ablation) created its own fibrosis (scar tissue). Not only did the needle permanently damage my right S1 nerve root, the scar tissue also impinges it. Be careful what you wish for.

On the other hand, many of us have been using powerful opioids for decades with no apparent negative consequences, beyond chronic constipation. Opiods are normal substances in the body, binding with opioid receptors in the brain. Because they are not dangerous, because they harm no internal organs (used as directed), they can be safely used virtually for a lifetime.

Injections damaged my spinal nerve roots permanently, leading to an increase in neuropathic pain and leg dysfunction, while opioids have made the chronic severe pain more tolerable.

Research clearly shows that if injecitons do not help initially, then future iterations of injections will also fail. That they can also create permanent neurological damage makes the treatment extremely risky. Meanwhile, the safety and efficacy of opioids remains quite positive and wihout the risk of spinal nerve root impingement.
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

TDXSP08 responded:
I agree with Charles completely and should also tell you a key thing for you to remember when it comes to Managing Chronic Pain And Your life , even though it seems like minor Invasive procedure it is none the less invasive, and invasive procedures for Chronic Pain should always be the very very last thing you do. If everything else fails that is non invasive yeah give it a whirl but there are to many other things to do and try before that.

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

77grace replied to TDXSP08's response:
I wanted to thank both you and Charles!Awhile ago my pain Dr. wanted to do a procedure where they go into the spine and burn the nerve where they think is causing some pain,I have tumors that grow on the nerves of my spine!When I asked ABOUT RISKS,he said yes it could paralize you but hardley ever happens!Plus I was a cash pay.My reply was no thanks!
Glad I did not do it!!!!I've been throgh enough risky produres or surgeries with this thing!!!
Peace to you all ,77grace

Regan12 replied to 77grace's response:
I appreciate the replies. I am gonna have a talk w/ my doctor and frankly ask her if she even knows what nerve ablation should be used for. I spoke w/ a neurologist who told me that he didnt believe all of my medical options had been explored and put me on a medication that might help. He also told me that he didnt know how much nerve ablation could help sciatic nerve damage. I just know that the idea of more needles in me freaks me out and there isnt enough proof out there to convince me it is a reasonable procedure for my condition.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

really determined.
cant wait to get off all my pain meds; the stigma of a DRUGuser is almost as bad as the pain.NO ONE beleives you are really hurting.plus ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.