Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Spinal stenosis epidural
Cocvince posted:
I had a epidural for spinal stenosis Wednesday and my doc said it "could" take a week to to two weeks for relief. What is most people's experience? Can it be sooner than that? I am feeling much better just 48 hours latter and was wondering if that is very unusual?

Thank you

Anon_160307 responded:
I have received 7 epidural steroid injections in my lumbar spine for spinal stenosis. More specifically, for the low back pain and sciatica caused by spinal stenosis.

You will most likely feel slightly worse before you feel better. The numbing medication will put you in the eye of the storm but it quickly wears off and then the pain is slightly worse than it was before having the injection due to the needle.

Truly the amount of time it will take to feel relief varies on an individual basis. For me, it truly takes a full week before I feel better than I did before getting injection. That's because first there is some healing time required just from the injection and then it takes awhile for the steroid medication to get to all of the places that are needed as things move very slowly in the epidural space.

But you may notice quicker relief from some injections more than others. There are many variables, one of main ones being how accurate the anesthesiologist places the needle where it's needed. So feeling better after 48 hours means that your doctor did a good job as additional time wasn't needed for the medicine to get to where it needed to go as he placed the med in the right spot. Additionally, your doctor probably did a clean insert of the epidural needle which minimized trauma to the area. Sometimes, they will have to move the needle around a lot to get it to the right spot or take it out entirely to move it to a different spot, which introduces more trauma that the body has to heal from.

So less trauma and accurate precision equals swift effectiveness. Also, if you spent the first 24 hours off of your feet and rested, that could also play a role into why the injection worked so quickly for you.

The injections typically lasts from 6-8 weeks and then the pain slowly begins to break through. Taking a nerve pain medication with oral anti-inflammatories can extend the effectiveness of the injection as you are working to keep the inflammation down. Anti-inflammatory creams to the affected area can also be of some help too...like Voltaren Gel.

Glad you are feeling much better! Enjoy it!!

PS: If the pain comes back with a vengence after 6-8 weeks, many times if it is your first injection, they can perform a repeat injection at 6 weeks but after that injection, they typically want to wait the full 3 months to allow the lidocaine (numbing agent) to flush from your system so it doesn't build to toxic levels. If it comes back with a vengence before the 3 month mark after a repeat injection at the 6 week mark, ask your PM doctor or Primary doctor for a burst pack of oral steroids. I had to do a four day burst pack 4 weeks ago and I am currently due for my 8th injection but I don't need it so I am trucking along as long as I can. Just wanted to add some options for you if the pain comes back before your next injection is due.

lisDi responded:
I have an epidural scheduled for Monday. I have had one 7 years ago in my lumbar spine. This one is for cervical spondylosis. I sure hope I get relief. My right arm and back are killling me.

Anon_160307 replied to lisDi's response:
I hope the injection works well for you too!!! Crossing fingers! Please keep us posted on how things went and how you feeling.

Cocvince replied to Anon_160307's response:
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I am feeling much better. My Doc has scheduled a second shot if needed. Hopefully it will not. Now I wish someone could help as much will my allergies! Lol thanks again.

TDXSP08 replied to Cocvince's response:
Allergy help i am allergic to tree's dust mold grass cats pollen those are my airborne allergies and my insurance decided to stop paying for allegra back when it was still prescription so my doctor switched me to Singular that was the best switch i ever made Singular totally rocks my allergies , i went to a friend of a frinds house we where sitting and talking and all of a sudden i started seeing cats checking us out,turns out she had 11 cats and my allergies did not go off the richter scale. i highly recommend Singular if you have not tried it..
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
41 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.