Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Left Knee Pain
ShadowButtersJetta posted:
I was in a car wreck in November, and was t-boned on the passenger side, as I was driving. I remember nothing from the wreck due to head trauma. Ever since then, I have had left knee pain and hip pain as well.

My right knee has no problems whatsoever, but seeing as I do not remember what happened upon impact, I cannot say what part of my leg hit what part of the interior of the car. My husband told me recently that I mentioned during my five day stay in the hospital, to the neurologists, that I could not move my left leg, they did nothing about it, as they were worried about my neck. I vaguely remember trying to walk while I was there, but it would not cooperate. I literally had to drag it behind me. Once I got home, I could walk a little better, but still stumbled around and fell a couple times. I did not use the walker prescribed to me.

I get quite a bit of discomfort if I keep my leg bent for too long, or even straightened. The part of the knee that hurts most, feels numb at times, is the inner part of the leg, next to the kneecap where I did have a bruise from the collision. I still don't have the strength or ability I had with it before the wreck. It has gotten a bit worse lately since we've been more physically active lately. My left hip gets so sore that I have a hard time sleeping on it. I did not get to do any physical therapy with it because it was prescribed for my whiplash instead.

I know I have left out some details, but I cannot remember things as well. (Apparently, the head trauma is not all gone.

Anyway, I am curious if anyone has any possible answers what it could be. Obviously, I need to see a doctor, but my husband recently lost his job, so things are quite hard. I am really wanting to join the Army, but I don't know if I could even make it with this bum knee.

ShadowButtersJetta responded:
I have been wearing a knee band below my knee, and it helps quite a bit.

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
It sounds like you may have sustained blunt trauma to your knee at the time of impact when the accident occurred. An impact injury like this to the knee can potentially cause nerve damage that may explain some of the pain and difficulties with walking that you describe. For example, if your common peroneal nerve was injured in the accident, this can cause a dropped foot and a slapping noise made with your left foot when you walk. This particular nerve courses along the outside of the knee.

The impact may have also been transmitted to the left hip joint, as well, and certainly there may be some inflammation associated with that. If you are having the type of functional problems and pain that you are describing then I think you need to see a doctor who can diagnose and treat these types of possible injuries. That could mean seeing an orthopedist, physiatrist, or neurologist, depending on the doctor's area of interest. I think more investigative work needs to be done in order for you to get the right treatment. Are there insurance policies associated with the motor vehicle accident that can provide coverage so you can get furhter medical attention?

ShadowButtersJetta replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
The accident was my fault, apparently. Like I said, I do not remember it. I only had liability on the car anyway.

Thank you so much for your help! I will do some further research.

annette030 responded:
I would really think twice about joining the military with a bum knee or hip. My son was an active duty Marine for 8 years, and they did a lot of hiking/ walking with lots of gear, up and down hills etc. He calls it "humping". I am sure the Army does something similar. My son got two bad knees out of it, they were fine when he went into the Marines at age 22. Not so fine now. You mentioned that your knee gets worse with physical activity.

I suggest you see your doctor and be evaluated, find out what is wrong for sure and deal with it.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to ShadowButtersJetta's response:
Depending on what state you live in, you may have had uninsured motorist coverage that might help you with your medical expenses. Check with your insurance company.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.