Skip to content
Pain in lower right portion of left breast
Anon_155903 posted:
Hi, I am 24 years old and I need some advice. I have been having pain in the right side of my left breast for about 3 months now, and I have no idea what it is. The pain is definetly within the breast tissue, not on the skin surface, or on the ribs beneath. I feel the pain in a pretty specific aarea (low, on the right side) when I lightly push on the entire breast or pput any type of pressure on the breast. Also when I, for lack of a better term, "jiggle" the breast, the pain is there. My mom had breast cancer when she was in her mid-forties. She is in her fifties now and doing great (the cancer was not in her lymph nodes). I am just a little leery of this pain, given what my mom had. I have thoroughly checked my breast and cannot feel any lumps where the pain is. The pain seems very deep in the tissue. I have never even heard of someone having breast cancer in their twenties, but the pain has been going on for so long, I would really like to know what's causing it. I have never had a mammogram and I do not plan on getting one for several years. I do NOT like the idea of willingly irradiating my breasts, given my family history. I have not told my mom about my situation. I don't want her to worry about me, and the first thing she'll probly want me to do is get a mammogram. Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to figure out what this is?

Anon_1112 responded:
Given that you've had this pain going on for 3 mos, if I were you, I'd go to either my family MD or perhaps even a Gyn and tell him/ her what you've been feeling. With your moms past history, if I were you,I know I would feel better if I told my doctor about it.

I understand how you feel about the radiation, however IF, the Doctor determines it would be in your best interest to Have a mammogram, then you should give it strong consideration. However, you won't know unless you go see a doctor. You don't have to mention it to your mom at this time if you think it will be too difficult for her. You can tell her after the fact.

Now, please call for an appt.

annette030 responded:
See your pcp and tell him/her what you have told us. If you fear the radiation of a mammogram, ask about trying an ultrasound examination instead. I have heard of using MRIs for breast exams also, no radiation at all there either.

If your choice is a bit more radiation with a mammogram, or dying of untreated breast cancer, I would go for a bit more radiation. But, you need to decide for yourself. You do have other options. Also, do not jump straight to a cancer diagnosis, you may have something else entirely.

Take care, Annette

_swank_ responded:
The bottom line is that you will never have peace of mind unless you find the reason for your pain. So you need to see your doctor and talk over your options with him/her. That is the only way you'll figure out what is wrong. The amount of radiation you will be exposed to during a mammogram is nothing compared to what you'll have to endure if you have breast cancer.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.