Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain
kh1545 posted:
Hi,
I have suffered with severe low back pain for about 4 years now and just recently had the insurance and resources to be diagnosed with L5-S1 disc herniation bulging left, arthritis and spinal canal stenosis and just had the epidural injections on Monday and have been doing okay nnot nearly as much pain on left but today we went out and after trying to walk around the facility, I started feeling almost the exact same pain oon the right side. I don't want to be a bother to anyone but just really need my life back and to be able to enjoy things like walking and standing without pain. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Take the Poll

Effectiveness of pain management
  • Confused
  • Confused
vote
View Poll Results

annette030 responded:
I have never had epidurals or any other kind of injection, so I cannot speak from personal experience. I would go and talk to the doctor that did the injections. Tell him exactly what is going on.

I would also ask him for links to research on this topic that might support his views. Then do your own search and see what you find. I would do all of this before having any more injections. Do not worry about being a bother to anyone.

Take care, Annette

chronic1008 responded:
I have had 8 back surgeries over the last 20 years. Six of them have come from a fall at work in 2005. I have had injections, epidurals, radio frequency ablations, spinal cord stimulator, I lost my hearing in my right ear during my first fusion in 2006 and I now have extreme Tinnitus. I am 45 with 4 children, 3 of which are under 10 years old. I have been bed/couch ridden for about 5 out of the last 7 years. I do not know what I would have done without my wife and parents. That is my history. What I would recommend to you is do not rely on medicine or surgery alone. Remember that most people have bulging discs and can live with them with some minor stretching, exercising, building your core muscles and the disc bulge can be reduced. Of course everyone is different and you really need to have someone who has expertise in the spine look at your MRI and evaluate you physically. Please be conscience of the fact that if your disc is bulging to the point of interfering with your nerve root, you will want the disc off of the root as soon as possible. If you have leg, foot, toe numbness and sharp stabbing pains in your Achilles, toes, bottom of foot, back of knee, then you most likely have nerve root compression. If you have nerve root involvement for too long then you can develop scarring on your nerve which will result in permanent damage. If you only have low back pain than you may not have a nerve problem. My recommendation to you is if you want your life back then decide from right now, this minute you're taking our life back. Don't worry about being a problem to anyone. That is exactly the wrong feeling. Bother every medical professional you can get in front of or get on the phone with or check different web sites and blogs. Before your next appointment take out paper and pen and pretend your taking your child (or a niece or nephew) to the dr for your symptoms. What would you ask that dr to better understand the situation. Then when you have our questions, show your wife or parents or friend or anyone close. I don't say this to treat you like a child but I have found that I think of better questions if I pretend it is for one of my kids. Most of us care more about our children then ourselves so better questions. Don't be afraid to ask the dr to talk in lay terms. If you don't understand something, don't leave his/her office until you do. I'm lucky, I can email or FB message my neurosurgeon if I have questions, you most likely will not be able to do this. I hope your pain gets better and maybe try aqua therapy. Less stress on spine but you can still work your core muscles.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.