Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Desperate for help
    Ineedhelpsoon posted:
    I am 28 years old, up until 10 months ago I was employed part time and attending school towards finishing a Bachelor's in Chemistry, then my wife's full time position was eliminated. She has since taken another job, though part time was the best she could find, in the rural part of our state, Maine, making less than $500 a month with (thankfully) free rent above her place of business, and she has $200 in student loans due every month. I have been looking for work constantly, but it seems like unless you can do labor, long haul trucking, or are a nurse, then you are pretty well out of luck, but I continue to try. That being said I have a long history of torticollis and back pain, stemming from a fall straight down on my head at age 6, and a neurological migraine disorder. I have been denied at every sliding fee scale clinic within 50 miles of my home and when I went to the emergency room this past week I was all but completely denied care for an acute torticollis attack (given 2 days of a muscle relaxant which I tried to explain did not work for me, only to have the doctor walk away on me) based solely on the fact that I had been in 6 weeks prior when pain across the back of my rib cage was limiting my breathing to very short and shallow breaths. Since going in for the torticollis attack a week ago I have been able to straighten my head again, thanks to a couple of generously donated medications friends and family were able to give me, but have been in constant pain which has been severely limiting my sleep. I have no idea what to do. I can't seem to get an actual doctor in my area to see me, ostensibly because of my medical history and near destitute financial situation, and at the same time am unable to seek care with emergency or urgent care because I am immediately treated like a 'drug seeker' due to the opiate problem in my state and get about two minutes of a doctor's attention before being completely ignored, even if I am not asking for scheduled medications, the local hospital will only give me flexeril for my back/neck pain, which does little to nothing for my actual problems while making me severely dizzy, irritable, and induces serious depression. I am at the end of my rope and don't know what to do, please help.
    annette030 responded:
    What exactly do you ask for or want?

    I do not understand why you cannot be seen by a doctor in a sliding scale clinic near your home, certainly your income would qualify you?

    This kind of problem is best taken care of by your own doctor not an ER.

    Take care, Annette
    peskypain responded:
    Sorry to hear of your pain...

    I have to start by cautioning you that taking other people's medication is extremely dangerous. And if it includes any type of controlled substance from Ultram/Tramadol, Percocet, Lortab/Norco....that it is breaking Federal law and is a felony. For both the person giving you these meds as well as you taking them.

    Personally, I would stop this immediately because if you find an actual Dr. to help treat your of the first things they may do is give you a urine test. And if you have medications in your system that you do not have a prescription for to show the Dr....then you will never get treated with opiates by that Dr. or any one as they will put this in your medical records.

    The other danger is if you are taking an opiate or muscle relaxer not prescribed to you and you get into a car accident....then you will be charged with a DUI and be in further legal trouble for taking illegal drugs.

    Believe me....we all get pain...that is what these forums are all about as we share our journey.

    But illegally taking drugs to soothe this pain is not the answer.

    If you have all these wonderful friends...then why not ask them to borrow money for an appt. with a Dr. Without insurance, many Drs. will lower their fee.

    My Dr. only charges $75 for a visit. And even if it was a $150 charge for the first visit....I would think that you could find a way to scrape this together through friends, family, or by selling something.

    The issue is that if you have had this problem since you were 6 years old....many ERs are not going to see this as a life or death emergency...and that is why you are not getting the proper care.

    If you can afford to pay for going to the ER....which is a thousand times more expensive than a Drs. visit...then you should be able to save up enough to get to a DR.

    Good luck...
    77grace responded:
    Hi and Welcome,
    Well I have to agree with both of the posts you received!I know how frustrating the Pain is and I also have been in financial problems!I don't know what State your in or their Laws but Yes you should definaley seek mediacal help through some sort of meical clinic that is possibly funed through the State!Usually any a Hospital that works with The state ot Goverment can give you the info where to go!
    Can you qualify for any aid?
    Best of lick,77grace
    An_244127 replied to 77grace's response:
    Yes, I have to agree with Grace and the others on this one, you need to be seen by one doctor. I am wondering why you can't qualify for any type of gov assisted low income help like medicaid or another program your state has in place for low income families with no insurance. Have you looked into any of these programs? It sounds like you would meet the qualifications with your income right now. I hope this helps.
    chronic1008 responded:
    Are you on social security? With SS you can get Medicaid. You will most likely need an attorney for the filing because they deny everyone until you get in front of a judge. Of course if you can work at something then you will not qualify.

    Best of luck to you. And I agree with the others. No matter how bad the pain is,DO NOT TAKE OTHER PEOPLE'S MED'S. You can be compounding your troubles. You can't get to a pain clinic from jail!
    An_246419 replied to chronic1008's response:
    I can identify with your problem and the others have given good advise to you. Never let anyone know if you get medicine from an illegal source, even a law enforcement offical reading this could track you down to try for an easy arrest.
    You need to file for medicaid through your county public assistance office or what ever they call it there. You can file for medical help only which sometimes gets approved easier. However, many doctors limit the number of medicaid patients they will take due to problems with slow payment by the different states. Still if you look you can find one. Also file for Social Security Disability, but to qualify you must have earned so many quarters of work, just call social security and they can tell you what is required and how much work time you have earned. Even part time work can qualify and social security has a national toll free # 800-772-1213 for information. Also some states have reduced rates for students for medical care, check with your college for information. I am not familiar with your states rules.
    If you qualify for Social Security Disability (SSD) it takes a while to get approved, but they use to pay the lawyers fees to help prepare your case, again check with Social Security.
    I wish I had some other information for you, OH I almost forgot, some states have a Vocational Rehabilitation Office and sometimes they can help pay for training and training expenses like medical supplies. Try looking them up in your phone book under your state government listings. For additional information go to your school or medical centers office and see if they have a social worker who could help you connect with support services in your area.
    Also check to see if there are any colleges or Universities with medical teaching facilities in your area, sometimes they may know of a researcher doing work on your medical problem and if they take you as a subject they might cover your medical care while you are in their research study. Also a medical teaching facility might have reduced rates for low income medically needy patients.
    It may be that you and your wife will have to consider moving to where the jobs are better. I live in a rural area and the employment pickings are slim here, but go on line and check with some business publications for where the job market is better.
    I admire your determination, keep up the good work and do not give up looking. Things are often the worst just before they get better. Also you might consider relocating out of the country, Canada is close and sometimes they may have a better job situation. I know there is lower unemployment in the Dakotas than in places like NY or Calif.
    Good Luck and keep the faith. 19Lindy
    annette030 replied to chronic1008's response:
    I get SSDI and my income is too high for Medicaid in my state.

    After two years you do qualify for Medicare, I get that. But you have to pay for part of it. I really like Medicare.
    annette030 replied to An_246419's response:
    Voc Rehab is a great suggestion, they paid for glasses for me, and helped me find a job I could do.

    I also considered moving to where it is cheaper to live. There is lower unemployment in the Dakotas but they say you need to have a place to live before you get there. There are oil fields that are hiring, but the housing market has not caught up to them yet. People are living in their cars, or in other folks' basements.

    Take care, Annette
    An_246419 replied to annette030's response:
    Medicare pays 80% of approved expenses. Depending on your age AARP has supplemental insurance for medicare if you are 55 or older. Other wise there are many insurance plans that pay for what SSD does not cover. You have to decide if the cost of the supplemental insurance is worth it. If you check into insurance then try to find one that pays on perscriptions and covers the medicare gap. Also if possible try to find one that will cover things that medicare does not cover. It is hard to find this kind.
    They talk of reducing medicare which is going to make things difficult as some doctors don't want to take medicare patients now. On the other hand there is waste in medicare and I think a lot of money could be saved if they just become more careful on the policing of their current rules.
    Good luck, I hope things get better for you.
    annette030 replied to An_246419's response:
    I have a policy through AARP's magazine that covers what Medicare does, plus all the meds I take, and does not cost me anything. I had to check with them to make sure they included my current doctors, and a plastic surgeon I was seeing back then. They just take the $$ that I would have to pay for Medicare part B anyway from my SSDI. They also limit the amount that I would have to pay out of pocket to a bit under $5,000 for the year, they pick up the rest of it.

    They do cover mine, but they don't cover my husband's doctor so he opted to stick with Medicare and pay for a Part D drug policy.

    So far all of our doctors opted to take Medicare.

    I can no longer work, but life is good.

    Take care, Annette

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.