Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
C-II CLASS PAIN MEDS
markwilson3578 posted:
I SUFFER WITH SEVERE CHRONIC PAIN AS A COMPLICATION OF A RARE NEUROLOGICAL CONDITION. WOULD APPRECIATE FEEDBACK WITH RESPECT TO THE EFFICACY OF THE MORE POTENT SCHEDULE (II) GROUP OF PAIN MEDICATIONS SUCH AS: FENTYNAL, OXYMORPHONE, HYDROMORPHONE, OXYCODONE.

BEST REGARDS
MARK

77grace responded:
Hi ,
I also suffer of a rare Nuerological Disease which causes alot of pain!It would help to know what you are on ,what you have taken and for how long!Although to say which are the best drugs is really apersonal thing!One might help me and not someone else and visa versa!
Can you tell us what is your illness??Do you have Nerve pain also??
I think your in the right place!
77grace

annette030 responded:
I have found no real randomized, double blind studies that show one opioid type med is more efficacious or has fewer side effects than another. They also have similar addiction potentials, if that is concerning. There are few good studies that compare them head to head.

Some medical studies have shown that methadone is better for nerve pain than the other types of opioids.

Best of luck to you.

Take care, Annette

David Maine, MD responded:
The efficacy of opioids can be extremely variable. Responsiveness can depend on the type of pain (bone vs. nerve) being treated. There are also metabolic issues that can make one opioid more or less effective than another and there can be a great deal of individual variability in that respect.

decision13 replied to David Maine, MD's response:
hello i have a question why do these dr get pts on this pills and then make them detox knowing thats almost a sucide mission and NO IM NOT GOING TO KILL myself but its just not fair and its not right Im just asking this cause it has happen to me and now Im so scared to run out of meds I have fibro but they have me with some stuff that just happen last year im just curious

annette030 replied to decision13's response:
My doctor gave me a consent form to sign regarding opiates so that I would know what I am getting into. It did warn about dependency, etc. I signed it, so I figure it is on me.

That said, I worked with opiate addicts early in my nursing career, and the older ones told me that detoxing off of opiates is no worse than the flu, deep, bone pain, etc. and lasts about a week. My husband was on methadone and oxycodone twice for chronic pain in the twenty odd years we have been together and he has gone off of all meds twice in that time, no withdrawals at all. I have not stopped taking opioids in the 15 years I have been on them daily, but I have cut my dose in half after a surgery decreased my pain levels, and had no withdrawals at all. I think it varies from person to person, and depends a lot on our expectations.

I do not believe that detoxing is a "suicide mission", I think it is probably unpleasant to fairly bad, but only lasts a week or so. We are talking about opioid withdrawal in fairly normal adults. Coming off of benzos is something entirely different, as is coming off of a mix of drugs.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.