Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Lower abdominal pain
    An_247818 posted:
    I have had irregular periods since I was about 16 years old, so I don't get them every month, or if I do, they last about two weeks and come with a lot of cramps. In my younger years, I missed school and family trips. Now I am missing work. The last normal period I had was in June and lasted about five days. When July came around, I didn't get a period. In August, I got it three times, and I was having very bad cramps and was vomiting everything I ate or drank. The last week of August, I was taken to the emergency room because the pain was extremely bad. When the doctors saw me, I had a temp of 101 and was feeling weak and cold along with nausea and cramping.

    The doctors connected an IV to keep me hydrated and eventually checked my pelvic area through an ultrasound, took a urine test with an 'in and out' catheder and did a ct scan to check for appendicitis. After several hours, the doctor came back and said they did not know what was causing the pain. Everything came back normal, there was nothing he can do but prescribe painkillers and birth control pills to regulate my period. The doctor also recommended that I contact my gyno to see what he thought.

    The following day, my stomach felt bruised. The following two days, there were several large clots that were coming out when I went to the restroom. I showed my sister one of the clots, and she stated she had something similar happen to her when she miscarried a baby. I wasn't pregnant, and if I was and lost it, I'm sure the doctors would have mentioned something to me, but they didn't.

    I am 35 years old now and have dealt with this pain for all of my adult life. I have tried for several years to have children but have not been able to. My family is pushing for me to request a hysterectomy and I don't want to because I still want to try to have a child but at the same time, I don't want to go through this pain anymore.

    What could be causing my pain? Will I ever be able to have any children?
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi and welcome to WebMD,

    I'm sorry you've been dealing with this for so long. I encourage you to repost your message on our Women's Health Community . The expert and the regulars there may have some ideas for you to explore.
    We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
    ~Joseph Campbell
    annette030 responded:
    Did you follow through and go see your gynocologist like the ER doc told you to? Please do that first thing.

    I had strange and painful periods for about ten years before I finally went into menopause. My family doctor put me on various hormones after checking my blood levels. It made everything okay for me. I am in my 60s and still have all my female organs. Ignore your family, you and your doctor will know when it is time for a hysterectomy, if ever.

    Take care, Annette
    An_247818 replied to annette030's response:
    Thank you for responding. I have an appointment scheduled with my gynocologist, but its not until tues the 18th. That was the earliest appointment available.
    I appreciate your response, I am trying to ignore my family but my mother made it a point to have my aunts call me and talk about how a hysterectomy is the best thing to do. Its hurtful and I cry after the calls are over.
    I am looking forward to my appointment and hope this can be over, rather quickly. Thank you again for your information.
    annette030 replied to An_247818's response:
    I can only say to tell your family that discussing your health issues is something you have chosen to do only with your doctor. Tell them how much the phone calls upset you, and then HANG UP. Do not discuss this with them as long as it makes you cry. 2-3 hang ups and they will probably get the message.

    Let me know how your appt. goes. I am 62 now, and am really glad I opted to keep my uterus. My friends who had hysterectomies are not doing as well as I am.

    Take care, Annette
    _swank_ replied to An_247818's response:
    I'm curious why you haven't gone to a gyn before now. Or have you? If you've been dealing with this for 20 years I would think at some point you would have tried to figure out what was going on.

    I had a hysterectomy at age 47. I kept my ovaries. It was indeed something I wished I had done sooner. But I wasn't concerned with having children.
    An_247818 replied to annette030's response:
    I have avoided some calls from my mom's family (from the aunts whom I don't normally hear from) because I know my mother has put them up to calling me. I have talked with my mother about how I feel, but she always finds a way to 'put me down'. She has since told me that I am crazy, and my life comes first. She says that because I have this pain for so long, I may not be able to carry a child. I am glad I still have her in my life, but I don't like having these conversations with her. I have not talked to her for a couple of days, and I feel good.
    My appt is scheduled for this upcoming week, and I will let you know what happens. Thank you for taking your time and listening to my feelings. It means alot.

    Thanks again
    felix956 replied to _swank_'s response:
    I have been seeing a gyno since I was about 20 years old. The first gyno I visited, did a D&C because she stated my cervix was too thin, and I had excessive skin or scar tissue there that she needed to scrape.

    The abdomen pain stopped for a couple of months, but then it came back. I would make several appointments with my gyno but I would end up seeing the nurse practitioner because my gyno was always busy and the practitioner always prescribed birth control pills to regulate my period. I changed doctors and have been seeing the same one for years. He was more concerned with helping me get pregnant because the pain would calm or stop after giving birth to a child. He gave me clomid but that didnt't work. Every test that he has taken, comes back fine. He finally did a laparoscopy and said that my uterus is leaning against one of my fallopian tubes, and that can be causing the pain as well as have something to do with why I haven't been able to become pregnant.

    He stated he could fix my uterus with surgery but couldn't gaurantee the pain would stop but it was never scheduled due to my work schedule. The other option was seeing a fertility specialist. I have an appointment coming up this week with my gyno and I hope to talk to him about everything again and see what we can do.
    annette030 replied to felix956's response:
    Other than having my tubes tied by an OB-GYN and seeing one for the delivery of my child, I never saw a GYN, only my Family Practice doctors. I prefer them myself, and during my reproductive years I made sure I saw one that delivered babies. They are hard to find nowadays.

    Getting pregnant for other reasons is more important than getting pregnant with the hope that bearing a child will stop or calm your pain. What an evil thing to do to a child!!! I hope I misunderstood you, I would see a different doctor myself.

    Take care, Annette
    annette030 replied to An_247818's response:
    The relationships you have with your mom and your aunts should be based on honesty. Sit down and call them all and tell them that from now on your health issues including reproductive ones (if you wish) are between you and your doctor. You should warn them that you will hang up if they ask about these things, and then you have to do so.

    I think that simply avoiding talk to them might make you feel better in the short term, but eventually you will talk to them and the problem has never been discussed, so you end up in tears again. I am probably closer to your mom's age than your age, and trust me this is no way to live.

    However, do whatever is right for you. Taking my advice based on what I know about your situation may be silly. I have only heard what you have posted here.

    Take care, Annette
    77grace responded:
    Wow,I am sorry that you are haveing so much pain and female problems!I was eading some replies and the thoght came to me about maybe you have Indramediosis(spelling??)Annette m,ight know what I mean???I have friend s who had it from a young age up to their 40''s!It causes alot of irregular periods Alot of bleeding and pain are some of the syptoms???Any mention of that??
    I wish and Pray you Luck with this!
    felix956 replied to annette030's response:
    Lol, I do want children. I have discussed this with my doctors and have been trying for over two years but just havent been able to concieve. Since I was telling him about my pain, he mentioned that if I have a baby, it will reduce or completely stop pain. So he was trying to hit two birds with one stone. Family doctors are hard to find. Most of the doctors that I have seen always end up referring me somwhere else. No one has been able to 'fix' the problem. They all just put a band-aid on it and let me go. I've always been given pills for pain, birth contol to regulate my periods, or at different times I have been given Clomid to help getting pregnant but none of that has worked.
    An_247818 replied to 77grace's response:
    Hello 77grace,
    I have read about that and all the symptoms is what I deal with almost every month. The doctors never confirmed endomitriosis though. With all the tests that they have done, they say everything is fine and they do not know what is causing the pain. But I have an appt this week and I am planning on talking to him about everything to see what he can do to help get me get rid of the pain.
    annette030 replied to felix956's response:
    I figured there was more to the having babies than what he said, that is just such a dumb thing for him to say.

    It isn't even necessarily true. My doctor told me that getting a hysterectomy would stop the bleeding problem, but not necessarily the other issues I was having, including migraines that happened along with my periods. He said one third of women got better, one third stayed the same, and one third got worse. He said I could also have my ovaries removed too, but then I would have to go through menopause now instead of later. He was willing to let me decide what I wanted to do. He was a good guy. He offered me hormone treatment and I took that instead, I don't know how well it worked, but it was better than what I was going through.

    I already had my son, so I didn't have that to worry about too. I am so sorry you are having so much trouble with all of this and can't get pregnant on top of it all.

    Take care, Annette
    annette030 replied to 77grace's response:
    Anonymous_247818 spelled it correctly, lol.

    Take care, Annette

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.