Skip to content
cracking neck concern? Will I crack it out of whack after surgery....
HighnLoLita posted:
Hello all Webmd PM friends. Hope everyone is having a good day, 'cause I know good days are sometimes hard to come by when you have chronic pain like me or any pain for that matter.

Some of you know what I been going through so, I wanted to give an update because, I have been very busy this past week. I went to the new pain management and they said they don't give meds on the first visit but, the Dr did give me another appointment in about 3 weeks from now. If he decides to take me as a patient he said he would like to get me on fentenyl patch and Norco for break through pain. Then when my pain is managed he will send me to PT to stregthen my muscles. He said the fentenyl patch will keep me on a more even pain relief and I wont need muscle relaxers. Personally I don't think the muscle relaxers work at all and the doc said they can be very addictive, I didn't know that. The doc said that he reccomended me see a Neurosurgeon and guess what???I had an appointment with the Neurosurgeon the next day.

The neurosurgeon took one look at my MRI's and said "Whos been treating you!!!" Your neck looks really bad and he said some other stuff about c this and c that. Then he ask me do I want him to fix it.. I said absolutely doc!!! So he wants me to get updated MRI and then we will compare and his office will schedual the surgery. I'm gonna do it, I am so tiered of the pain. I have no quality of life and nothing else has worked.

I am concerned about alot of things but, one thing I am really scared about is that I have a compulsion to crack my neck every few hours or so. I'm wondering if anyone has ever had surgery on their neck and are neck crackers and if I should be conserned after surgery. I might crack it out of whack lol...Anyways any comments, conserns, questions, or hellos welcome. Thanks....Lita
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - Maya Angelou.

77grace responded:
HI Highnlolita,
Yes,I can definatly relate!!!!
I have had very bad neck problems since probally starting in High school!Anyway,I had headaches in schooland in my 20's found out about the tumors growing on the nerves on my spine including my neck!
Anyway I always used to crack my neck alot!
In 2001 I had to have neck Surgery and Ii was worried about the exact same thing!For me during the Surgery they also did several Lamenectomy's!For some reason now <I can't crack my neck.I used to try!My surgen also told me No Chiropractors for me because of the tumors!
Hope that helped some, 77grace

HighnLoLita replied to 77grace's response:
Thanks 77grace, I'm glad to get some feedback from somone who can relate. When I was little before I could go to bed I would have to crack every single joint that I could to relax and go to sleep. They used to tell me if you crack your joints like that you are going to have arthritis when you are older. Well, I guess they were right.

I never went to a chiro, just did it myself...

"For some reason now <I can't crack my neck.I used to try"
I hope this happens to me. And now I'm wondering if I am gonna miss cracking my neck or feel the need and not be able to, that might drive me crazy lol

Thanks 77grace, Lita
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - Maya Angelou.

77grace replied to HighnLoLita's response:
I think I tried to after the surgery but it was a long time and I was really to scared to try1But Finally the temptation got me and I tied and I could'nt do it ,it won't crack!
GOOD thibg beause it isn't good for us!
So,what kind of neck surgery are you having??
Let me know and if you have any questions I might be able to help!!!
77grace

annette030 responded:
Do you really believe that whatever surgery he wants to do will relieve your pain?

I had one herniated disc removed, and one herniated disc left alone, a year or so later on the advice of the same surgeon. I found no difference in the relief of pain. Function was better after the first surgery, as the surgeon said it would be.

My neurosurgeon said that getting pain relief had about a 50% chance of happening. He did not feel doing it for pain relief alone was a good idea. That was why he did not do surgery the second time, function was fine, it was the pain that was not fine.

Ask the surgeon who will be doing your neck how he feels about neck "cracking" after surgery. He can see your spine on film and knows just what you mean by "cracking" your neck.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to HighnLoLita's response:
Cracking your joints just releases small bubbles of gas in the joint fluid, and does not make any difference in arthritis when you are older from everything I have read medically.

I think it is an old wives' tale about getting arthritis in the joint later on.

I still crack my knuckles and my neck (before and after surgery). I think it really depends on exactly what kind of surgery you have on your neck. There are many types of cervical surgery.

Take care, Annette

HighnLoLita responded:
Thanks all! I have decided not to have the surgery at this time. I am going to follow up with Pain management and physical therapy to see if that will help. Interesting feedback tho ...Lita

HighnLoLita replied to annette030's response:
Hiya Annette, thanks for your input. At this time I have decided to opt out of the surgery for now and continue with pain management and physical therapy.

As far as pain relief from surgery, I don't think one way or another. To be honest, I was hoping the surgery could help with pain and function. The only thing I know is that some ppl say it helps, some say it doesn't. My Mom had surgery on her back and 10 years later (Now) she says that it helped and she rarely has pain in her back anymore and she is a hair dresser (on her feet, bending over all the time).

If I could have a %50 percent chance of it helping my pain it would be well worth the try. Unfortunately something has come up and I will not be able to have it done....Thank you so much!!...Lita

77grace replied to HighnLoLita's response:
I think that is proabably a god idea,although I don't know what's wrong with your neck???
I just remember the recovery from both of mine and I would not wish that on anybody !But my surgeries were really #1 to prevent Paralasis ,then hopefully to help with the pain!
Best of luck to you,77grace

HighnLoLita replied to 77grace's response:
Well 77grace I was diagnosed with DDD and arthritis in my neck. I have narrowing of the spine where the nerves go through the neck. This causes me numbness, tingling and pain in my arms and hands. I also have head aches in the back of my head and migrains in my top front of my head. I just started a new pain management so, im going to see if I can manage better that way.

The good thing is I get to have a new MRI and be able to see if there were any changes since a year and a half ago. If the surgery is not necessary, I will not do it at this time...Have a nice day ....Lita

annette030 replied to HighnLoLita's response:
Some studies give surgery a 50% chance of decreasing pain by half.

Maybe if it was a 50% chance of eliminating my pain completely, I would give it a try.

It is up to each of us to decide for ourselves.

Take care, Annette

galjudi responded:
Several years ago I had neck surgery due to a pinched nerve that was hitting my spinal cord. I was very frightened BUT it turned out great. If it bothers me I have a rubber cuff like devise that I put on around my neck and then pump air so it gets tighter..works grest and I found it in a catolog. It is the same thing my chiop. used and it only cost $20.00.
My back is a real mess and I take alot of pain meds. they are talking about inserting some devise that cuts the pain. I am still up in the air about having that done.

confused666_2001 responded:
I've had surgery on my neck, and I still crack my neck. My worse issue is that I was rear ended. The numbness, along with the pain in my arms has come back. When I crack my neck, it actually makes the pain better. I have often wondered if doing that would make my neck issues worse or not, too.

PetuniaPea responded:
I was in the Army in the 90's and was told to crack my neck to relieve pain by friends of mine. Years later, when I was out of the military, in Nov 2002 (I remember, because this is when my chroic pain began!) I cracked my neck so hard, that a searing pain ran through me, I was in severe pain for weeks, moderate pain for months...but right after for the next week or two, my neck was crooked to the side.

I never knew the exact diagnosis, possibly a slipped disc or a neck sprain or spasm, but it's been giving me problems up until today. I see a chiropractor regularly, which helps.

I still have the habit of "adjusting" my neck, only now, I use heat and stretch first, get really relaxed, and I don't pull roughly, just a gentle tug to see if it makes that beautiful, addictive cracking sound! My husband yells at me every time, though, even though I'm gentler, he says anything can happen, don't do that! So I'm trying to stop, I'm getting better.

My advice is...try to quit like me! Like my husband said, you never know what can happen, people have broken their necks or died in rare cases. Still, my neck gets tight and I just want to release it...after all this talk, I feel like doing it now...nooooo!

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.