Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    cronic pain no doc rx
    willyobiker posted:
    I had a motorcycle accident in which I suffered a double compound fracture of my tibia, and have had an external fixator(?) attached to my bone for alignment and I am 60 years old and have been told i will suffer much pain for the rest of my life. However my primary orthopedic doctor will NOT prescribe any pain meds for me. If he felt the pain i do (constant)he might feel differently. How can i get my doctor to prescribe something(anything) for pain? I have NEVER abused drugs. I live in WV.
    One question- do any others here at webmd ever had a similar problem? How did you resolve it?- thanks all!- Willyobiker
    77grace responded:
    Hi willyobiker,
    Well,Did you ask him why he would not give you anything for pain??Do you have the option of going to another Dr.???That's what I would do!!!He may want you to see a pain Specialist <Are thaey in your area???I'm guessing you mean West Virgina??I 'm not sure what WV stands for?
    Try to get another opinion, for sure!Therew is releif and there must be a reason that he won't presribe!Some DR.s just don't like to mess with those drugs!
    Blessings,I'm here for you 77grace
    annette030 responded:
    See a pain management specialist for this problem.

    When was your accident, and broken leg? What complications did you have that you would expect to be in pain for the rest of your life?

    Be aware that orthopedic surgeons are surgeons, they are used to fixing things, not prescribing long term medications. They simply are not trained for what you might need.

    Take care, Annette
    77grace replied to annette030's response:
    Hi Annette,
    I did'nt thik of that ,your right,Surgeons probally won't presribe anything for pain unless maybe your going to have Surgery from him,that was my Experince!Of course that Prescriton was only for 1 or 2 fill's and then he wanted to operate!For me I needed more was way to risky then!

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.