Skip to content
No pain, no gain of understanding
What_Day_Is_It posted:
Hey y'all! Sitting here after a beautiful sunny day in the South!

I'm to the point that I'm ready to get claws like 'Freddie Kruger', reach around to my back and just rip it open when I'm trying to work around the house. My husband, who is now retired, is here ALL day now and can't understand why I can't get up at the crack of dawn and hit the floor ready. I grab a diet soda (traded coffee for it) and relax my muscles from whatever position I was in in bed.

This is going to sound like I am the most evil woman on the face of this earth but, if only for 15 minutes, he could experience the pain I'm in I know he will understand what living with this awful debilitator is. Am I a horrible person for this?

Take the Poll

Would you wish that your significant other could feel what having fibromyalgia is like? (and no - you're not a horrible person!)
  • Unfortunately, most definately
  • Yes - but only for 15 minutes
  • I can't decide
  • Maybe - but not for 15 minutes
  • NO WAY!!! Not now, not ever!
vote
View Poll Results

davedsel57 responded:
I understand your concept. Someone who has never experienced chronic pain does not fully understand. However, be careful what you wish for. My wife has always been very understanding and supportive of my disability and chronic pain. Unfortunately, she had a back injury at work last year and now also lives with chronic pain. When she cries from the pain, I cry with her and she does the same for me.

I would never wish chronic pain on anyone for any length of time.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
It sounds like you need help helping your husband understand so he can be supportive. Has he ever gone to the doctor's with you? Have you gathered online information to share with him if you see how you feel every day expressed well?

He doesn't need to understand it from your perspective, but I hope he can come to a place of taking your word for it that you are in pain and what you have to do in order to deal with that pain. I hope others here will share their ideas.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

77grace responded:
Hi ,
Unfortunatly,yes I kinda do wish that and now I feel guilty because I voted yes.On the other hand my Husband is very Suppotive and usually understanding,but this took years of being with me!
I have tumors that grow on the nerves on my spine and it is a Disease with no cure,I used to have really bad headaches that would last for 4 to 5 days but thank God they are better!
At first he used to get Mad because I seemed to get them on his days off ansd Spoil his Fun!!I could go on and on,He used to even Rage at me during these!
So years passed ,now he has talked to my Dr.s Surgeons and is much better but they had to realy setr him straight!!!
Take him with you to a Dr. appoitment,Do you think it would help?
You did'nt say what's wrong??What's up???
Hang in there sweetie.Yikes,I never heard of the Freddie Kruger thing!!You must really hurt!
77 grace

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.