Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/pain-management/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement@webmd.net

Includes Expert Content
    Arthritus of the lower back.
    An_248109 posted:
    I have an arthritic condition in my lower back. I am taking hydrocodin for this, however as time goes by (I am 63) the pain is increasing or the med has reached its maximum for me.

Has the community had their doctor advise as to the next avenue?

Thanks for your time/help,

Brad

annette030 responded:
    Hi, Brad

Just explain to your doctor the things that you are unable to do in your day to day living due to the pain coming back.

How long have you been taking the hydrocodone?

It may be time for you to use a long acting opioid around the clock. See what your doctor says.

Take care, Annette

David Maine, MD responded:
    Thank you for your post. I would advise you to discuss this issue with your doctor. He/She can review your history and imaging when appropriate to ensure there is clinical stability. If things have otherwise not changed then this may simply be a manifestation of "tolerance". This may necessitate a slight change in the medication to try and reestablish effective pain relief. I hope that helps.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

neck/skull pain
    I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.