Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Tumors on my spine cause alot of terrible pain!Anyone relate??
    77grace posted:
    I have been in Chronic pain for about 30 years!It started with headaches when I was a teenager,they were horrific,causing vomiting and staying in bed for 3 or 4 days,no food ,just water!
    Anyway mthankfully now in my 50's they are better but the tumors cause3 alot of Pain and my Tolerence is bad because of years of meds?The Disese I have is Nuerofribromatosis!Has anyone heard of it or know any new treatments????So far there are none!Surgery is too Risky!
    Thanks 77 grace
    Peter Abaci, MD responded:
    Pain coming from around the spine, from any cause, can be a very challenging problem to manage. Neurofibromatosis is a genetic disorder that causes tumors to grow around nerve tissue. That means that you probably inherited this disease. As this is not a common disease, it may be worthwhile looking for a clinic that specializes in treating neurofibromatosis. In some cases, surgery is considered as an option to relieve pain. It sounds as though your doctors have felt that the surgery would be too risky, and while safety should be a priority, this is a situation where getting a second opinion from a neurosurgeon who has experience with this disorder may be worth considering.

    In the meantime, I think you could also use some added support and help in managing your day to day symptoms. Consider consulting with some complementary practitioners, like pain psychologists, acupuncturists, and art therapists as examples, for help. A pain doctor can help sort through some of the medication problems that you may be dealing with.
    77grace replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
    Hi Dr.Peter Abaci,
    Thank you for your reply!One thing thats strange for me is that we can't seem to find where it came from! No relatives on either side of my Family so it could have started with me ,I guess or someone had it and it was so slight that they did not know!
    Maybe I should look into a Clinic for this,the only one I know of is in L.A. at UCLA!I don't think we have any in San Diego!Art Therapy sounds really interesting and I'm not Talented in that area but sounds Great!Thanks,you have given me the extra push I needed!Its a hard one to deal with!
    annette030 replied to 77grace's response:
    Hi, Grace

    Do what you can to find a center that specializes in this condition.

    A friend uses art therapy for an issue she has, and although she doesn't feel like she has any talent, she really enjoys and feels like she gets a lot from this program.

    Take care, Annette

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.