Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Doctor seems think I have costocondritis..
    Iamaroyalhobbit posted:
    After I had my gallbladder removed in February of this year, I've developed a rather large "bulge" on my lower right ribs. It started happening probably around July/August and hasn't gone away since. You almost can't even see the lump on my side unless I suck my stomach in and then it's pretty noticeable. I can't sleep on my side or even have anything touch it because it will get really sore and hurt. It's not on my breast bone but to the right of my belly button. My aunt who is an LPN looked at it a while back and thought I might have a hernia. The doctor said it was costocondritis even after I had an ultrasound and it came back negative.

    Could this really be costocondritis? I've had costo in my chest before but never anywhere down on my lower ribs. Why would I have such a large bulge on my ribs though? When I touch it, it feels very tough and almost goes right along my ribs.
    davedsel57 responded:

    Here is a link to information about this condition in the WebMD Pain Management Health Center:

    Perhaps an opinion from a different doctor would be helpful.
    Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.



    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.