Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Introduction
Jeeperz posted:
Well I'm new to all of this so I guess I should start with an Introduction. I'm 51 years old I had a long military career in Special Operations which has led to my being on this web site. I have had numerous operations on my knees and have cadavers ligaments in both, I'm currently on my 6th surgery on my lower back I have had a fusion at L5 S1 and have had stimulator implanted all of this has left me with chronic pain for which I'm prescribed 100mcg Fentanyl patch and Oxycontin for break through pain.

Peskypain responded:
Welcome to the boards...Thank you for your service...I come from a long line of military in the family from both brothers, father, grandfather, neice and nephew...

I think there comes a time when you have to ask whether the surgeries you are getting are actually making any difference. There are some surgeons out there that just love to "cut"...I have had 3 fusions myself on two levels...but still have many active herniations, bone spurs, severe stenosis...etc....but thankfully have found a great Neurosurgeon who will only ever do more surgery unless there is direct threat of paralysis.

They aren't helpful for actual pain...they are only meant to solve mechanical issues.

Chronic pain is something that I guess I would expect with all your surgeries...And it sounds like you have a decent PM Dr. who is helping you with both the SCS and the medications.

What else do you do besides this to help with your pain daily?

There is also exercise, aqua therapy, injections, steroids, ice, heat, acupuncture, massage...regular and ultrasound, etc.

Have you sought out help for the emotional issues that come with living with chronic pain? Many people suffer with depression because of this and it's nothing to be ashamed of. So there is both counseling and even medication that can help with both the physical and emotional pain.

I'm not sure if you have any specifc questions for us...or are just introducing yourself....

If you are using all the other possible modalities I mentioned, along with taking care of your emotional health as well....there is really not much else that can be done with chronic pain. It's just about finding a "new" normal and learning to live the best possible life we can with pain and being realistic about the levels of pain. Most Drs. think about a 5 or so is ok and anything better is a bonus..

Again..welcome to the boards!

annette030 responded:
Pesky ran through most of what I would tell you already. I would also suggest cognitive behavioural therapy both for any mood disorders you may have, and for just dealing with day to day chronic pain.

I agree with Pesky about more surgery, be sure it is what you wish to do and would be useful.

I would also thank you for your military service.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.