Distraction Action
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Distraction can be one of the best ways to cope with chronic pain. I know it is for me.

What are some of your favorite distractions?

Do you like movies? What are some of your favorites?

Are you a reader? What kinds of books or magazines do you like?

Are you a gamer? What are some of your faves?

What else? And do any of your favorite distractions cause you pain but you do it anyway because the emotional payoff is so worth it?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

akuryak3 responded:
Some of my favorite distractions from pain are: meditation, reading, surfing the net and e-mail, listening to music and the best distraction is spending time with my grandchildren. My youngest is only a few weeks old but there is something so peaceful when holding a newborn child.

caspertab responded:
I have intercostal nerve damage so breathing causes pain. I refuse to let the pain control my life, so I volunteer for 4 organizations, do my own house work, gardening, enjoy reading and being with my grandchildren. People tell me if I am busy it will take my mind off the pain but not for me. I can be in pain at home, or playing the paino at the Senior Center. Volunteering is very rewarding and in spite of being in pain, keeping busy keeps be off antidepressants.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to akuryak3's response:
Hi Akuryak,

Grandchildren really are the best. I can't hold mine without pain but they sure are fun - and funny! - to watch!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to caspertab's response:
I'm with you, Caspertab, being busy doesn't change the pain but if I choose what I want to be busy WITH, it can make a huge difference in my quality of life.

Good for you for volunteering your time.
~Joseph Campbell

akuryak3 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I am so sorry that you can't hold your grandchildren with out pain. The only time it doesn't hurt me to hold them is when I am sitting down. Even holding my youngest who is only about 5 lbs 10 oz causes me to have severe back pain. However the peacefulness I get while holding her is worth it.

akuryak3 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
To caprice and caspertab - I agree that keeping busy does not stop the pain but as both of you and I do, we push through the pain to continue to live our lives. I am finding that keeping busy is helping with my depression. It certainly helping more than talk therapy but I do take an anti-depressant. I have to laugh when they say some of the anti-depressants help relieve pain. Maybe if your only issue is depression it might but when you have medical problems I don't think it does a damn thing. Well at least for me it doesn't.

Wishing you love, light and happiness.
Andrea

caspertab replied to akuryak3's response:
I'm with you akuryak3 about antidepresssants. That is the first medicine I was given because I think the doctor didn't believe I was really having post thoracotomy pain. I couldn't tolerate them or just about any other oral pain medication so the pain pump has been the answer for me as to the best pain control. Laughter and a positive attitude really has helped me through 9 years of chronic pain. I volunteer at a Senior Neighborly Center and assist with crafts and play the piano. The piano is real old and some of the keys don't even work! In spite of that and I'm not the greatest pianist, the participants respond to me as though I were at Carnegie Hall! They sing, clap their hands and it is so rewarding to me that something so little as volunteering 3 hours a week brightens not only their spirits but mine as well, and my pain for three hours isn't my focal point.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to akuryak3's response:
I understand that peacefulness, Akuryak, and how activity eases the depression.
~Joseph Campbell