Skip to content
Pain meds with 3 tears L4-L6 and DDD
An_248377 posted:
I have 3 tears and degenerative disc disease along with arthritis in my hips. I also have anemia and platelet disorder so I can't take NSAID's unless I want to look like I have been beaten because I bruise at the slightest thing. To get to my question, what is available for me for pain meds? I am taking Vicodin and my doctor make me feel like I am faking the pain and only gives me #30 and when I ask for more after 2 1/2 months it's like pulling my eye teeth. She's see my MRI and said that if she didn't know I was 46 she would have thought I was looking at the back of a 60 year old. I'm in a catch 22, I hurt and Tylenol doesn't do a darn thing. So what am I supposed to take? Am I taking to much Vicodin? I've had 3 steroid injections and tried the TENS machine with little to no relief.
davedsel57 responded:

I have a long history of chronic pain, plus a history of blood clots in my left leg and lung. I am taking a prescription anticoagulant (warfarin) and will be for the rest of my life. I have found fairly good pain management with enteric coated aspirin. It dissolves in the intestine (not the stomach) and does not affect the results of my periodic blood tests (PT/INR). That may be something for you to discuss with your doctor.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.


annette030 responded:
You could also try tramadol. I found it was as good as about 1 vicodin myself. We are all different though.

Talk to your doctor about it.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 67 found this helpful