Skip to content
Help with pain
Wnmay posted:
I am paralyzed from the chest down c5/c6 level of injury. I have constant neck an shoulder pain. What are some meds I can ask my Dr. about that will keep me from hurting an get me off these lortabs?
annette030 responded:
You need to discuss all this with your doctor.

Have you tried tramadol or NSAIDs? They are the next thing down from Lortab.

How old are you? How old is your paralysis?

Are you looking at short or long term use?

Why do you have neck/shoulder pain?

What else can you try as far as non-drug treatments?

These questions popped into my mind right away.

Take care, Annette
Wnmay replied to annette030's response:
I'm 24 I have sum bad disks an bone spurs plus the hardware in my neck and my bones are deterating (however u spell it). The tramedols don't work. I'm lookin for long term
Wnmay replied to annette030's response:
Also I've been paralyzed 4 years be 5 jan 5th
Anon_57995 responded:

Just wondering-
C5-6 complete, or incomplete?

I'm a C 5-6 incomplete. Is the pain from spasm?

Perhaps telling your MD what you're experiencing, rather than asking for a med by name, could be a better approach.

Your MD can evaluate you and knows your history.

Good luck.
Wnmay replied to Anon_57995's response:
I'm complete
annette030 replied to Wnmay's response:
Also instead of saying you have terrible pain, tell him what kinds of activities you cannot do due to pain.

Just a thought.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.